Optical Drive Recommendations for Loading Programs via CDs and burning CD-Rs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by helloshirosan, Jun 8, 2014.

1. helloshirosan macrumors member

helloshirosan

Looking for an external optical DVDR drive to load on some computer programs on my Mac and burn CD-R music CDs once in awhile. The main thing is to load third party software that are not digitally downloadable and only available via CD or DVDs... Nothing that breaks the bank please, but lasts functionally and has solid build quality with a slim profile is a must and I do prefer Samsung over something like sony. Suggestions thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Apple USB SuperDrive is what I use when I need to use a Mac that isn't mine. I have yet to have it fail and mine has at least 800 burns on it. I take care of my burners by not doing more than 3 in a clip without a 3 minute break in between each set.

I did have a external drive that I burned through in 150 burns by Samsung. Waste of money. Warranty covered me on the three of them that I burned through and none lasted near the Apple. In fact, the Apple was almost 2.5 times as much money, but I got way more usage and there is no sign of it backing down and I still have errorless burns.

When I am at home I do all my burns on the SuperDrive in my PowerMac G5 and sometimes when on the road in my cMBP. The G5's has over 2300 burns on it and it was built in 2004! The cMBP only burns when finalizing video at school or in a pinch.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

I bought this one back in 2011 and it still works fine. Haven't used it in a few months though. :) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827190020

Since I'm sure there's a new version, best to read the reviews at newegg looking for comments about working on a mac.

For what you're looking to do, $20 or $30 should be plenty to get a decent drive.

4. helloshirosan thread starter macrumors member

helloshirosan

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I went ahead and bought this at my local best buy since I had some rewards points. It only costed me 2 bucks so hopefully it will hold up. It had over 500 reviews and a good average so I just took a chance. I will mainly use it to load programs I will be using that are only available with physical CDs unfortunately so it shouldn't die on me. I don't burn a lot of music cds, maybe 3-4 every few months. If it does die, it only cost 2 bucks lol.

http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-SP60NB50

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I hope it works well for you. I never owned an LG but heard good things about them.