Optical Drive Replacement Instructions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 17, 2010.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I am replacing my optical drive with the NewModeUS adapter/second HDD.

Does anyone have instructions for the new Unibody Macbook Pro? I found MCE's instructions for the older model, but I am not sure if anythign has changed.

For those who have done it, what tools will I need and how long does it take?

Can I just plug it in and play without setting anything up with the Snow Leopard DVD? I don't have that on me now...

2. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Thank you very much! :)

That was very helpful.

To anyone that has done it, do we really have to remove the battery? I didn't know it was so complicated.

Does the flathead really work fine for the torx screws? I don't want to strip them.

3. Reapur macrumors regular

You spent all that money for the computer and hard drive, and you aren't going to the hardware store to buy the RIGHT tools for the job? Maybe you shouldn't be opening up that computer after all...

NEVER use the wrong screw driver, they cost a couple dollars do your self a favor and go buy the right tools.

4. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Uhh, I don't even know if i need them yet--that's why i was asking.

And it was the article above that recommended using the flathead. I never said I wouldn't get the right tools. I am still looking for the right instructions.

5. Reapur macrumors regular

If iFixit says you have to take out the battery then you have to take out the battery. They are the most reliable guide out there with some fantastic photos.

Buy all the tools they use.

6. NovemberWhiskey thread starter macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

lol. They are the ones recommending using the flathead on the torx screws. :D

So did you actually do this mod?

7. Reapur macrumors regular

No I havnt, I enjoy having the optical drive there incase i need to burn a DVD. Also removing the battery voids the warranty.

I would still invest the 5-10 dollars into the right tools. Using the wrong sized screwdriver is asking for trouble.