Optical Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by visim91, Dec 9, 2011.

1. visim91 macrumors 6502

Quick Question:

Instead of replacing my optical drive with a 2.5" HDD - could I extend the SATA cable out from the machine itself (through the superdrive's slim opening) and attach my large media RAID via eSATA?

The macbook in question ain't mobile, and is used more as a HTPC now.

Of course, for watching movies, there is nothing wrong with USB 2.0; however, granted I also am constantly transferring files between the external and my Mac, the additional speed would be nice.

Theoretically, a SATA to eSATA cable would be all I need for this configuration, am I right?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In theory that should work, so far as I know. Good luck getting it through the opening, but I don't know of anything that should hold you back.

I would anchor the cable in the drive bay somehow, though, just in case it gets pulled. Wouldn't want logic board damage because the cord got yanked and pulled on the connector inside...

jW

3. visim91 thread starter macrumors 6502

certainly am tempted to try. Thanks.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

In theory yes.
    You still need an mSATA to SATA adapter (and the power sata). According to some bloke you can find those on specialized shops for 2-3 bucks.

It probably looks a bit odd though the the cable hanging out. I am also not sure if the SATA plug fits through the slit. Maybe you have to cut a bit into the alu to get it through. Maybe you can make it fit somehow so it stays fixed in place there.