Optical drive tray bezel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by astonius86, Dec 1, 2018.

1. astonius86 macrumors member

I replaced my Superdrive with a Blu-ray drive. Of course I had to take off the tray bezel to do so, but I noticed the stock drive has a flat, black plastic piece stuck to the front of its tray to clean up the look. I'm wondering if it's possible to find this part for sale anywhere. I'd like to put one on the front of my Blu-ray drive, but I don't want to rip it off the old drive unless I have to.

2. astonius86 thread starter macrumors member

3. macjunkie2013 macrumors member

macjunkie2013

Hmm might be totally possible w 3d printing...do you have more pictures of it, not attached?

PS how is the BR drive, does is also write BR, DVD ect? How compatible is it w OSX?

4. astonius86 thread starter macrumors member

I can't really detach it without ruining the adhesive.

The drive works great. No drivers needed, however macOS doesn't have good native support for Blu-ray, so you have to rely on third-party apps to really take advantage of it. It can still burn DVDs natively.

5. macjunkie2013 macrumors member

macjunkie2013

If I am understanding you correctly, you simply what a different color front plate? It is just a flat plastic rectangle on the front?

6. astonius86 thread starter macrumors member

When you put it that way it sounds pretty stupid, but without it the front of the tray looks unfinished. It’s not the end of the world, but I would prefer to make the drive appear as stock as I possibly can. The purpose isn’t to change the color but to clean up the look of a tray that’s had its front bezel removed.

7. bookemdano macrumors 65816

I think the chances you're going to find anything like this for sale are almost nil--it's way too niche. Apple used slot-load drives in every other model of Mac, and I'm unaware of any PC manufacturer who copied the cheesegrater design of hiding the optical drive behind a trap door.

If you don't want to sacrifice your current SuperDrive then I think your best bet is to look on ebay or something for a dead Mac Pro or PowerMac G5 drive cheap and then harvest the part you want from it.

8. macjunkie2013 macrumors member

macjunkie2013

Sorry, did not mean to come across a judgmental, I totally understand the desire to maintain the Mac Pro aethstetic. :)

What about swapping the front plates the Apple drive to the BR and back?

9. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

I just found this on an optical drive in my parts-junk bin.
    Heated it up a bit with a hair dryer and it peeled off nicely leaving all 3 adhesive pads intact.
    It's yours if you want it, send me a PM with a mailing address.
    Sorry for the poor photos:(

IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0289.JPG

10. astonius86 thread starter macrumors member

No worries! That's certainly an option, but I didn't want to have to do that if I didn't have to.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    Wow, I appreciate that! I'll PM you shortly.

11. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

I understand the tray bezel, as that might need to be removed.
    Other manufacturers may mount that tray bezel in different ways, and swapping from a different manufacturer might not fit in place, without needed some trimming or other minor surgery to fit in place.
    Your MacPro still has the door (part of the case, not the drive itself) that hides the optical drive, correct?

12. astonius86 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it does still have the door. It's just a bit of an eyesore when the drive is ejected. I know that's a total first-world problem, but I figured if I could find a cheap way to clean it up and make it look stock again I would, otherwise I'd just deal with not having it. Thankfully jbarley is hooking me up!

13. USmacs macrumors newbie

I've not come across a faceplate that can be swapped across manufacturers. They are all different. I think you're stuck with it.

And I thought I was fussy, sheesh.
    ;)

14. flowrider, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

I really never paid any attention to my optical drive trays, but I just ejected them both, and my gosh, how FUGLY:rolleyes:

I do remember, however, when installing them, I had to remove the front plate so it would eject thru the slot.

Lou

15. bookemdano macrumors 65816

Wow that's super nice of you. Good on ya!