Optical Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TommyMacBrown, Jun 15, 2009.

1. TommyMacBrown macrumors newbie

Hi all.
    Need to replace the Superdrive in a PM G5. At OWC, they have two, a Samsung and a Pioneer, and basically the same price. Which one will be the path of least resistance?
    Thanks

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Do yourself a favor and get the Samsung. I went through 2 Pioneers before I replaced it with the Samsung. I like it a lot so far. I figured I didn't need to replace another Pioneer.

3. shroud macrumors member

both great drives. personal experience and also seen in cdfreaks (google them as they have nice forums on burning) is that samsung tends to be better suited to burn quality CDs and Pioneer tends to be better suited to burn quality DVDs but both have quality that is very high and both scan DVD and CD media very well also.

I went with samsung as I wanted lightscribe but actually went with the older version because the newer ones, although awesome, didn't have the build quality of the old ones (223 vs 203 for me, for a G5 the PATA would be 202 old or 222 new)

Won't go wrong with either one really.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Either will do. Both are excellent drive manufacturers! If you want the drive to last a little longer and perform a little more stably then get the boxed version and NOT the OEM version!

Yesterday I purchased a replacement DVD drive for my 2006 (with x5355 procs) and the salesman (store manager) had sample drives of an OEM and a boxed version of pioneer A16 open and partially disassembled. When I asked what the differences actually were pointed them out to me and talked about the problems related to the OEM ones. Basically the boxed version has dust seals, few critical parts are made of a different (better) material, and undergo precision balancing at the factory. He suggested that these differences are the main factors in a drive that typically dies in 6 to 18 months as opposed to one that will operate for 2 or 3 years.

From what I saw in his little demonstration I believe it too! And just to show me that he wasn't BSing for the extra $10 he gave me the boxed one at the OEM price. :)

The drive I got was the pioneer DVR-A16J-SV in a box for $52.

He said that the number one high quality drive was this one in boxed version, number 2 was this drive in OEM version and #3 was some Sony he had sitting there. I asked about Samsung drives specifically and he shrugged and said it's a Korean product but I might get lucky anyway. :p

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

This is the first time I've actually heard of an actual difference between the OEM and boxed product. :eek: Usually, it's just a difference in packaging and warranty support. ;)

Nice of the guy to show you, and even better, to give you the Boxed version for the OEM price. :D

If this were the case with HDD's, I'd be in deep.... ;) :p Out of all the drives I'm running, only one was boxed (Velociraptor), and I only because it was cheaper than an OEM at the time. :eek: :) It didn't even have a cable. :p

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's what I thought too. I was wrong. :D

That's what I love about shopping in the shops! On the net there's no one to haggle with. At the shops I can just about always haggle them down to the cheapest net price and sometimes lower. In this case he offered to complete the point he was making but even at mega-stores I just about always get price reductions. A few weeks ago I got a 32gig thumb drive. It was like $29,95 or something and I brought it up to the register and said: "Hey beautiful lady, discount this for me." She said: "Is $25.00 OK?" to which I replied: "you're so cute so I know you can do better than that. :D". She punched some buttons and I got it for $20.00 even!

I like Japan!

Yeah I think this quality thing is CD/DVD players only and may only be true with Pioneer - though he did imply it was a general DVDR truth. I just kicked myself over those HD154UI drives I just bought for $98 or $97 or whatever. While getting this DVD writer I saw then for $70 each at Tsukumo. :p Damn!

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Must be nice. :D I wish that were the case here. Only there isn't any shop that bothers to carry any stock. :(

I would have thought it more with just Pioneer myself. :)

As per the Samsungs, I still can't find them here but at a precious few places online, and no where near the price you got them for. :rolleyes: :( So you've go nothing to complain about! :eek: ;) Somehow, I think by the time they're ~$100USD in the US, you'd be able to pick them up for just over pocket change. :p And even the situation here is probably better than the UK. :D Wait what seems like forever, and pay a fortune. ;)

8. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It did used to be the case when I lived there in California and Utah some 20 years ago. You could go into a dept. store, camera shop, or a HiFi outlet, ask some techy questions of the salesman, act impressed and then hit him up for a discount. 4 out 5 times he'd admit to a 20% margin and discount it some. It's not like that any more?

Stock IS something I noticed was a BIG difference when I first moved here. Shelves are STUFFED with everything you can think of except the highest pro-grade high-dollar items. Like isles and isles of mother boards from every manufacturer but only 2 dual MBs. etc. etc. And everything in Japan is localized so if one shop doesn't have what you want (unlikely) you can walk 50 yards down the street to another one that will. Same thing for prices and discounting - if one won't the next one will.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

NYC and a few places left in California are all that I'm aware of, and not what they used to be. Most have gone under. :( The closest to me I'm aware of, is Provantage in North Canton, Ohio. Not exactly local, and quite a drive. Definitely not worth the trip. :(
    ARGH... You're making me jealous. :p

10. TommyMacBrown thread starter macrumors newbie

What is funny, is that I googled the pioneer DVR-A16J-SV , and the only pages to come up were in Japanese. Does that mean the drive is not available in the US?
    Thanks for taking time to reply.

11. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I think the US version is DVR-216 and the DVR-217 is the same but doesn't do DVD-RAM. The remaining letters is just color: BLK, SLV, WHT for black, silver, or white. The OEM version (in Japan and the USA) looks like this:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/45/104/DVR-216SV/review.html
    [​IMG]

And since i can't seem to find a picture of the boxed version on-line here's a picture of the front of my box:

[​IMG]

Notice that the front bezel is quite different. This is to accommodate in part the anti-dust system. The Japanese bulleted text on the front says:
    • Dust Guard System
    • Highest Integrity Write Speeds (meaning not too fast and not too slow but juuuust right for each given media type)
    • PureRead Function Ability.
    Or something like that. :D

It's not kidding about the dust guard system either. I opened it and looked. There are rubber gasket like dust seals and special tape everywhere dust could possibly enter the drive. Of course removing the face for use in a Mac Pro kills a lot of that functionality. :p :eek::(:apple:

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Tesselator, that model (dust seals) seems exclusive to Japan. :rolleyes: Maybe they figured the rest of the world is too cheap to even bother. ;) :p

13. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Really? Damn! LOL! Frigging harbor-bombers! Man! :D j/k