Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Is this animated gif really moving?
pic13829.gif

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
so i am guessing that it is an effect caused when you move your eyes?? if i focus in on one part the rippling stops in my peherial vision.... but what do i know

MsKacey007

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
mpw said:
If you you stare at this image long enough you should see a giraffe!

My goodness, I'm so glad it wasn't some ugly demon or something. You never know what will show up when people tell you to stare at something. I've learned my lesson. :(

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
How about this one (sorry about crappy size [dang 100k limit] and/or if it has already been posted):

Attachments

• dont-trust-your-eyes.gif
    dont-trust-your-eyes.gif
    92.3 KB · Views: 305

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
PlaceofDis said:
so i am guessing that it is an effect caused when you move your eyes?? if i focus in on one part the rippling stops in my peherial vision.... but what do i know

Yep, if your eyes stop moving, the illusion completely stops. It has to do with color/shape/spacial relationships.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
You guys who posted illusion images...what site did you go to get them? I have seen these both on a site a long time ago (along with many, many more) and have since not been able to re-locate it.

I think it was a Japanese site of sorts.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mpw said:

HOLY Sh*te!!!

After the 1st post I scanned your pick inadvertently B4 I actually read it....I did kinda see a giraffe, then decided to read your post & go back and stare at. .... :eek: is what I felt when I finally saw it; 3am after 4hrs web surfing I swear I almost jumped outta my seat!!!! Awesome gonna show the wife & kids in the morning LOL.

Thank god it wasnt something perverted.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
sorryiwasdreami said:
You guys who posted illusion images...what site did you go to get them? I have seen these both on a site a long time ago (along with many, many more) and have since not been able to re-locate it.

I think it was a Japanese site of sorts.

This one is pretty good:

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

or, do a google search for optical illusions. My medical neuro class covered vision and there are piles of optical tricks for your brain.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
mpw said:

Freaking priceless. The people in the next office came in to see why I was laughing so hard. :D

That really cries out to be your avatar.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
sorryiwasdreami said:
Yep, if your eyes stop moving, the illusion completely stops. It has to do with color/shape/spacial relationships.

It's interesting, too, that if you look at your computer screen from off-angle, as you approach a glancing incidence, the appearance of motion will disappear (that is, the more you are not looking at it head-on, the less you can see the motion). Works if viewed at an off-angle top/down as well as left/right. Doesn't work for the giraffe, though! ;)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
PlaceofDis said:

Hmmmm.......yeah when I really fix my eyes at one point then it does not move ;)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

I don't think images like that are suitable for the general pubic... :D

Sry couldn't resist. Reminds of that test where you're shown a close-up of either the crease at the elbow, the top of her butt or the top of her boobs and you've got to figure out which is which...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.