Optical out isn't working on macbook pro 8,1 os x yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nigelgardiner, Jun 16, 2015.

1. nigelgardiner macrumors newbie

Hi

If I plug the optical cable into the audio port I get the digital output option in preferences/sound but I get no sound and I get no light in the cable or port?

If anybody has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

thanks
    Nigel.

2. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Judging by the model number he gave, it's a 2011 13".

4. Vermifuge macrumors 6502

Vermifuge

Depending on the application you might have to also select digital out from the preferences. Maybe giving more details about what you are specifically trying to do would help?

5. nigelgardiner, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

nigelgardiner thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying to output music (from itunes library currently) thru the optical out on airport express into a schitt modi 2 uber and from there into stereo.

Can't get it to work thru the express so was trying to get it to work from the laptop optical out first. But no joy.

I can get the laptop to the dac via usb fine but that isn't what i want as i need it to be wireless.

the dac shows up in the audio midi panel if connected via the usb but not the optical cable if that sheds any light on the problem?

at this stage testing all components with known working to figure out where the problem is

Further to this

Have now tested with known working dac and cable still no signal so I can only assume that I'm getting no digital output from the mac book pro or the airport express.