Optical out through headphone jack...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickM, Mar 15, 2009.

1. NickM macrumors 6502

I recently learned that the headphone jack also serves as an optical out (with the proper adapter). This is very cool to know.

However, when I look into the port, I don't see the red light that is typical of optical ports...as some people claim to see.

Do I need to enable the optical port from somewhere in the OS?
    Please give some advice.

Thanks...

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

You Plug it in (Most Digital Optical Cables come with the Adaptor, it like clips on) and it activates it, not sure how, i guess its a different shape or something, but it works, i can assure you.

3. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

There's a microswitch inside the jack that toggles between analog and digital. Works well until the switch gets stuck...

4. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh ok... thanks.
    So, just to clarify, it SHOULD activate the optical port when I first plug in the adapter? And from then on, I should be able to see the red light inside?

An optical cable I bought a while back for my Xbox360 had the weird little adapter... I never knew what it was until now.
    Too bad I lost the adapter...need to get another one.

5. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

No, it should only be activated when there is an optical cable plugged in (99% sure this is how it works, I believe it should switch back to analog when nothing is plugged in).

6. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

^ that would be correct I use my MBP as a source for my receiver works great.

7. NickM thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh ok. I read somebody saying that they saw the red light. Maybe his switch got stuck somehow, and it was staying on when it shouldn't have.

Thanks