Optical vs Digital Image Stabilization

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfanjoe, Sep 10, 2014.

1. macfanjoe macrumors member

Anyone have good info on how much of a difference the OIS in the Plus will make? Is it for video too or just photos?

I use my phone a bunch to take photos of my very active little kids. Will OIS help will the blurring effect when the object of the photo is moving?

Any smartphones out there ready have OIS?

This is the only reason I would get the Plus and haven't seen much good info on it yet.

Thanks.

2. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

It will help a lot with videos and pictures. With pictures, the biggest difference will be noticeable in low light (with relatively slow shutter speeds), for ex. it will compensate for shaky hands etc. It can't do much if your subject is moving though (in anything but very good light), because shutter speed will just be too slow to freeze motion (you'll need a xenon flash under low light for that).

3. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

It works on both video and still images. It won't help a lot on fast-moving subjects. Some, but not a lot. Digital image stabilization simply doesn't let you take the picture until your hands are still. Not real helpful. Optical stabilization moves the lens to counteract hand shake. Very helpful.

4. macfanjoe thread starter macrumors member

5. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Optical image stabilization is the better solution on paper. Digital IS is done by zooming into the picture a bit so the software has "wiggle room" so it can use the hidden edges of the image to use to keep the onscreen image stable. I may be wrong but I believe this is the reason that the iPhone video recorder has a narrower field of view than when taking a picture.

Optical IS is done in the lens so that software doesn't need to compensate with any hidden area.

So, all things equal, OIS is the better solution. Unfortunately, the choice is not whether we want DIS or OIS, it's 4.7" vs 5.5" phone.