Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Since the quadcore MBPs came out I've been asking myself to what extent these new machines can replace a Mac Pro set up. I thought both RAM and storage were major drawbacks. Now it's known that they can support up to 16 Gb of RAM, which move their maximal potential performance yet a bit closer to MP performance.

The major issue is still storage. It's been reported in other threads in this forum that the new MBP supports SATA III, but only in the main HD bay. Anything you put in an optibay will be limited to SATA II. That raise a question to someone like me, who has high hopes of using a MBP as a main editing station:

- What's the ideal arrangement of scratch, media folder, and boot in a dual drive MBP?

With some considerations:

1 - As boot drives Apple SSDs are apparently less of a headache. Will they be happy to sit in an optibay?

2 - Is it overkill to use a new SATA III SSD like the Vertex 3 as scratch disk?

3 - I know that if I do larger projects I'll need external storage. But I'd like to take advantage of the MBP's mobility whenever possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Mainly Final Cut Studio with the eventual use of After Effects. Footage is mostly 2k from Canon 5Ds, converted to ProRes for editing.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
If price were no object I'd recommend the 17" 2.3 ghz, 16g ram with the 500g 7,200 rpm drive from Apple. Move that 500g drive to the Optibay and grab the most expensive Vertex 3 you can afford and use that in the 6 gbs ports.

At that point you'll have a proper mobile HD workstation that appart from fan noise will be a very impressive piece of hardware. You might want to think about a cinema display as a second monitor or picking up one of those impressive thunderbolt external drives if you need more space or speed for your editing purposes.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
If price were no object I'd recommend the 17" 2.3 ghz, 16g ram with the 500g 7,200 rpm drive from Apple. Move that 500g drive to the Optibay and grab the most expensive Vertex 3 you can afford and use that in the 6 gbs ports.

In that configuration I'd be sure to use the vertex as boot only (or not?), keeping scratch in the HDD. Would it be of any use to have say a 128 Gb Apple ssd (which is 3Gbs only) for boot and applications in the optibay, and a high capacity SATA III ssd for scratch in the 6Gbs port? Wouldn't performance be significantly higher with this arrangement than with a HDD for scratch and a SATA III ssd for boot?

What I don't know is whether or not moving the factory ssd to an optibay can cause any problem. I also don't know what the implications of using an ssd as scratch are. My guess would be that if the ssd is to suffer deterioration, then this will happen a lot faster.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
In that configuration I'd be sure to use the vertex as boot only (or not?), keeping scratch in the HDD. Would it be of any use to have say a 128 Gb Apple ssd (which is 3Gbs only) for boot and applications in the optibay, and a high capacity SATA III ssd for scratch in the 6Gbs port? Wouldn't performance be significantly higher with this arrangement than with a HDD for scratch and a SATA III ssd for boot?

What I don't know is whether or not moving the factory ssd to an optibay can cause any problem. I also don't know what the implications of using an ssd as scratch are. My guess would be that if the ssd is to suffer deterioration, then this will happen a lot faster.
2 SSD's will always be faster than 1 SSD and a hard drive. And wear isn't a factor as long as we're talking about name brand controllers \ SSDs. So, Intel, Apple, Sandforce (Vertex 3), OWC aren't going to have issues wearing out.

Its really just a question on how much capacity you need and how much you are willing to spend on it. The ultimate would be a pair of Vertex 3's of the largest capacity you can afford.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
2 SSD's will always be faster than 1 SSD and a hard drive. And wear isn't a factor as long as we're talking about name brand controllers \ SSDs. So, Intel, Apple, Sandforce (Vertex 3), OWC aren't going to have issues wearing out.

Its really just a question on how much capacity you need and how much you are willing to spend on it. The ultimate would be a pair of Vertex 3's of the largest capacity you can afford.

Wrong. SSD's will wear out regardless of the controller. They say it will take awhile but it's up in the air based on the things the OP plans on doing.

Also, a pair of Vertex 3's in the MBP would be a waste as the optibay does not have a SATA III connection. If I just saved you $1200, you're welcome.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Dunno if it will help you but I decided to go with this setup:

15" ( easier to log around and fits in my camera bag. Will connect it to my eizo at home)

2.2ghz ( I thought I'd save the money since the upgrade seems too little for too much )

8gb stock ram ( I can't save enough to justify the trouble of getting 3rd party ram. Will upgrade to 16 later this year though )

256 stock ssd ( same as above )

750gb 7200 optibay drive

Seems like a nice setup although I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about. Selfstudy few hehe ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.