Optimal Battery Handling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samedi, Apr 19, 2010.

1. samedi macrumors newbie

Hi All

I'm just wondering on how you handle the charging cycles of MBP batteries in practice. I think I read somewhere, that it should be best to work unplugged and to charge the battery as soon as the level reaches 10%. In practice, this seems to be cumbersome.

How do you handle this? Is it a problem to have the cable plugged in all the time?

Thanks,
    samedi

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

I believe the only thing that is recommended is a 'calibration' which is done every month or so by allowing the battery to drain completely before plugging it back in.

This is more of a calibration for the internal battery gauge than for battery life though. As I understand it, the battery and computer are not picky about how you use them. Just use the computer as you need to and you will be fine. :)

It's not like the olden days where batteries had a 'memory' and would not fully recharge. Current battery technology essentially eliminates this problem.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use it however you want it. Letting overblown worries about a few percentage points in battery life is, in my humble opinion, quite stupid.

Plus if you leave the cable plugged in all the time, why even worry about the battery? ;)

4. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

While mstrze's post is largely true, it can be hampering to your battery life to keep it plugged in. If you do unplug your computer, allow it to drop before 40 before recharging. This isn't because of "memory," but because it enhances the flow of ions throughout your battery.

In addition, do calibrate once a month as well.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

My wife has had her MB since late 2008 and probably leaves it plugged in 95% of the time. We don't really have any issues...although I have told her that she might want to leave it unplugged once a month for the calibration at least.

miles01110 is absolutely right...just use it and don't worry about!:D

6. samedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, makes sense. Will leave the cable plugged in and try the callibration way :)

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/278)

Calibrate it like apple suggests. You can charge/drain as you like. There is no sweetspot percentage to charge it at to get good battery life. Best thing you can do for these batteries is keep them working, but do not drain them fully (except when calibrating them) and you're fine.

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

So you warn that one shouldn't drain them fully, yet you agree with Apple that one should drain them fully (to calibrate) once a month. :confused:

;)