Optimal configuration of internal drives on a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danakm, Jul 31, 2015.

1. danakm, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

danakm macrumors regular

danakm

So, due to my Question Mark Folder of Death issue, I decided that since my computer is pretty old already, I need it to last me a little more, and I would be replacing the HD anyway, I would try to breath some new life into it by installing an SSD, as recommended by many. (And I'm hoping the issue really is just the HD itself and not the cable, but we'll cross that bridge if we get to it...)

Since I couldn't really afford a huge SSD in such a short notice, I'm going to go with the SSD + HD configuration these older MBPs still allow by replacing the optical drive that has been dead for a while and I honestly never bothered replacing because I don't use, like, at all.

My question is:
    Is there a recommended configuration for the drives? Aka. Does it make any difference where I install each inside the computer? If so, which one should go in the usual spot and which in the optical place?

Any other recs since this is my first time with this configuration regarding anything at all, really?

My plan is to run the OSX and apps on the SSD and keep the rest of the bulky files on the HD and I'm leaning against setting them up as a single Fusion Drive since I would very much like not to be royally screwed if either dies (what I've read tells me neither would be workable if one dies in a Fusion set up).

Also, what's the deal with TRIM?

I'm on a MBP mid-2009 15" running Yosemite.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If your HHD has a sudden motion sensor of its own (a few do), it doesn't matter where you place either. Should the hard drive of your choosing not have a sudden motion sensor, I'd place it in the computer's regular hard drive bay as the MBP is also equipped with such a sensor. The purpose of this sensor is to park the head of the hard drive should it sense a jolt, helping to prevent data loss due to shock.

Recommendations? Well if you intend to use bootcamp, I'd do it with the optical drive still in there, you'll save yourself quite a few headaches. Windows install doesn't like booting from external drives on these older macs.

Head over to wikipedia for TRIM info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)
    Personally, I use it for peace of mind. People on here say they've had TRIM-less SSDs for years with no effects. Whatever floats your boat, really.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Look in System info and see what link speed you have supported on the SATA controllers for the HDD and Optical. If they are the same (probably 3Gbps from memory), then try the SSD in the Optical bay first, then recheck System Info and see what the negotiated link speed is, if the SSD is getting the max the controller supports then you may as well leave it there as the HDD will then still have sudden motion protection.

If the SSD isn't getting the full controller speed then it is time to swap the SSD and HDD over. Mine is a 2011 and runs 6Gbps on the SSD in the optical bay so that is what I still run.

The only other recommendation I would make is to NOT combine the SSD and HDD into a Fusion drive, if you run OS and Apps on the SSD and Data on the HDD then the Fusion is unlikely to make any serious gains but they will be at a cost of treating the two drives as a single drive, so any issues and you will need to format/restore the entire Fusion drive rather than just the SSD or HDD whichever has the problem.

4. Apple Maniac macrumors newbie

Apple Maniac

It IS NOT GOOD IDEA, A HYBRID HARD DRIVE. Much better, two discs, one SSD in main bay, and a mechanical hard drive, replacing the DVD.

Hybrid hard drives have the same problems in the future. It better not be on the same device. A fault in the mechanical part, can disable the use of the entire disk. Best separated.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

That is not a concern in a 2009 machine. Both ports are SATA II. The problem you're referring to only occurs in the 2011 vintage.

6. danakm, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015

danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Thank you, I had not considered that before.

My drives arrived yesterday afternoon and I installed the HD on the regular slot because I couldn't find any documentation regarding it having a motion sensor. The SSD is chumming along fine in the optical slot :)

7. danakm thread starter macrumors regular

danakm

Yeah, I confirmed they both have the same speed and since it seems like my HD does not have a motion sensor, I installed that one in the regular slot and put the SSD in the optical slot. So far so good :)

And agreed, after checking pros and cons, I decided to run both drives independently instead of making a Fusion drive. Fusion implies too much risk for both drives without much gain.

Thanks for the input!