Optimal HDTV/BluRay Settings? 120 Hz Sharp Aquos

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jan 21, 2012.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I picked up a 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron the other day and I love it. I also got a free Sharp Aquos 3D Bluray player with it too (a nice one, normally $200).

The HD TV channels look great, but I watched a couple movies (Blow/3:10 to Yuma) under more or less default settings sans color/brightness etc. I couldn't get over how weird/fake they looked. The movies seemed to me to look like I was actually there and that they were fake movie sets. 3:10 to Yuma was really hard to watch since it nearly jumped out like it was 3D and just felt god-awful wrong for a western film.

I also noticed some halo artifacting around people etc. under quick motion.

I searched around and found these two issues to be pretty common issues on HDTVs, and there seems to be a debate about whether or not 120 Hz/240 Hz is the culprit (my TV is 120 Hz).

What I found was that for movies, if you turn the Motion Enhancement off, that counterintuitively seems to eliminate the motion blur/artifacting, and if you turn the Film Mode to off when watching movies, then that counterintuitively gets rid of the fake/soap opera effect and it looks like a regular movie again. But for TV, I think it probably looks best with the Motion Enhancement on and the Film Mode set to 120 Hz High.

Is this the general consensus? Turn off the motion enhancement and film mode for movies, and put them on for TV?

If this is the case, doesn't it more or less defeat the purpose of the Blu-Ray to try to make it look like a regular movie? It's been a long time since I watched a regular DVD and don't have one for a direct comparison, but I still think the BR edges out the standard DVD, though I'm not really sure--I'd say this is probably where the 1080p resolution comes in.

I don't know a ton about HDTVs, and I'm probably not the only one, I just want the optimal viewing experience for both TV and more importantly BR.

Discuss.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Generally, I think most users find the picture is better with all these "enhancement" features turned off.

You might check the AVS forums here for others with your model set for specific recommendations.

3. ender land macrumors 6502a

I second the recommendation for the AVS forum.

One of my "pet peeves" about bluray is that it makes bad CGI incredibly obvious. Or even not great CGI. Which is because you are seeing nearly 4x the resolution of the movie..

4. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

I have the 40" Quattron and here are my HDMI input settings for my xbmc box (1080p bluray media)

Av mode: standard
    Opc: off
    Backlight: 8
    Contrast: 32
    Brightness: 0
    Color: 2
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 2

Motion enhancement: 120hz high
    Quad pixel plus: on
    Active contrast: off
    Gamma adjustment: 0
    FILM MODE: OFF
    digital noise reduction: auto
    Monochrome: off

Film mode is turned off for all my inputs. That "feature" is ridiculously stupid.

5. AdrianK macrumors 68020

6x NTSC DVD resolution ;)