Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blaqink

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 a time capsule (3rd gen) and an airport express (2nd gen). I currently have the time capsule connected to the surfboard router by ethernet and have it in bridge mode. i would like to use the airport express to extend the network because as i get to the back of my apartment the range of the wifi signal starts to degrade.

would there be any alternative way to configure these 3 devices for best performance / range

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
They are both radios, so YMMV...literally. You could try positioning each in different locations and see if that works. The AEBS is stronger, so take that into account. The signal out of the Express of course depends on the signal in, so make sure that it gets good reception from the AEBS.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
I've just purchased the surfboard to avoid paying for the TWC rental fees and have been trying to set up the airport to extend the wireless network of the surfboard. Does anyone have any hints on how to do this. Every time I try to do it something goes wrong...

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I've just purchased the surfboard to avoid paying for the TWC rental fees and have been trying to set up the airport to extend the wireless network of the surfboard. Does anyone have any hints on how to do this. Every time I try to do it something goes wrong...

Can you be more specific? I have the identical setup at home with the Motorola Surfboard, and TWC as my ISP. My network is setup with a combination of Airport Extremes/Express units, and works flawlessly.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Essentially, it I try to setup the airport to connect to the surfboard it will do so and I get a green light, but I am unable to see it with any device (i.e. computer, iPhone, etc). When I try to set it up as an extension of an existing network, it seems to crash and the only solution is to reset by pushing the reset button. My guess is that I have configured something wrong with either the SB or AP, but I have no idea which one to even start with. I am able to connect everything else directly to the SB without any problem though.

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Essentially, it I try to setup the airport to connect to the surfboard it will do so and I get a green light, but I am unable to see it with any device (i.e. computer, iPhone, etc). When I try to set it up as an extension of an existing network, it seems to crash and the only solution is to reset by pushing the reset button. My guess is that I have configured something wrong with either the SB or AP, but I have no idea which one to even start with. I am able to connect everything else directly to the SB without any problem though.

Have you tried connecting the AP to the Surfboard via ethernet, creating a "Roaming Network"? You would configure it to "Create a wireless network:, with the identical Network name and security as the former, but set it to Bridge Mode. To extend the network wirelessly, I do not think will work. See here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3664332?start=0&tstart=0

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Thanks for the link. I had done some searching but apparently not well enough. I had hoped to have the SB and AP in separate rooms, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Cheers!

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Thanks for the link. I had done some searching but apparently not well enough. I had hoped to have the SB and AP in separate rooms, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Cheers!
Actually, even with a Roaming Network, it's still possible to have the SB and the AP in separate rooms. This would be achieved with the use of Powerline Ethernet Adapters. There is an old post from last year where I assisted with the setup that seems similar to what you need:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1143865/
As long as they are on the same electrical circuit, it would totally work. That is what I am using in my own network setup.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
Actually, even with a Roaming Network, it's still possible to have the SB and the AP in separate rooms. This would be achieved with the use of Powerline Ethernet Adapters. There is an old post from last year where I assisted with the setup that seems similar to what you need:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1143865/
As long as they are on the same electrical circuit, it would totally work. That is what I am using in my own network setup.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. My initial thought though is that they are not on the same circuit.

Cheers!

Chamgea

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Can you be more specific? I have the identical setup at home with the Motorola Surfboard, and TWC as my ISP. My network is setup with a combination of Airport Extremes/Express units, and works flawlessly.

Hey can you help me with my set up? I have a similar request as the original post: "I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 a time capsule (3rd gen) and an airport express (2nd gen). I currently have the time capsule connected to the surfboard router by ethernet and have it in bridge mode. i would like to use the airport express to extend the network because as i get to the back of my apartment the range of the wifi signal starts to degrade."

In addition to this I would like to still be able to connect to my TC for backups (hard drive & time machine). From my understanding wireless speeds would be generated from the SB modem? Anyways what's the best way to unify these 3 devices the best for speed and coverage, and allowing others to piggyback off my signal. (My neighbors and I share internet). I'm syncing apple products (macbooks, iphones, ipad)

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
Hey can you help me with my set up? I have a similar request as the original post: "I have a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 a time capsule (3rd gen) and an airport express (2nd gen). I currently have the time capsule connected to the surfboard router by ethernet and have it in bridge mode. i would like to use the airport express to extend the network because as i get to the back of my apartment the range of the wifi signal starts to degrade."

In addition to this I would like to still be able to connect to my TC for backups (hard drive & time machine). From my understanding wireless speeds would be generated from the SB modem? Anyways what's the best way to unify these 3 devices the best for speed and coverage, and allowing others to piggyback off my signal. (My neighbors and I share internet). I'm syncing apple products (macbooks, iphones, ipad)

With my setup, I actually disabled "NAPT" in the Moto SB. You can find instructions to accomplish this here:
http://broadband.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20836/kw/disable%20NAPT/session/L3RpbWUvMTMwNDk3NzYzMy9zaWQvVVZqVnh5dGs=
My Airport Extreme'S NETWORK settings are "DHCP and NAT" (it's connected to the Moto SB), and I have 3 other base stations set to bridge mode. Note: I need to include "NAT" for my slingbox, but you could set yours to just "DHCP". My setup would be different from yours (because I need 2 different networks), but the method is the same. You can either extend wirelessly, or via ethernet, in a "Roaming Network". Roaming provides far less degradation of signal. Mine is a combination of the two (view each image in a separate tab to see clearly):
Network settings:

NETWORK:BRIDGE MODE.jpg

Wireless setup:

WIRELESS EXTS.jpg

Hope that's clear. It really works for me, as I find the Moto Surfboards wireless range was much shorter than the Apple base station.
Edit: I must stress that the hard-lined method, even if you use Powerline Ethernet Adapters, is the way to go, especially if you want that stronger signal for your neighbors - see my link to an older post above.

Last edited:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I just found this detailed diagram/screenshot I made for another person I was assisting with a similar setup. Note that in the Wireless setup, the base stations must be set to different channels, if "Automatic" mode is not selected, preferably a min of 5 numbers apart for "n/b/g, or further for "n"/5.0 GHZ :

attachment.php

edit: "Allow this network to be extended" is only checked when the network is extended wirelessly. With the "Roaming" setup, it is left unchecked.

Attachments

• 377045451.187609.jpg
    377045451.187609.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 718
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.