Optimal Screen Size for Rumored Gestures

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Jan 28, 2011.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

I've seen rumors of 4 and 5 finger gestures for the future of iOS. My question is what screen size do you think is needed, or prefer, for these gestures?
    IMO, 3.5 inches isn't quite enough. I think 4 would be the sweet spot for ease of use and to accommodate all hand sizes.

Yes I know that many of you believe Jobs won't change the screen size, but with nearly all high end phones of today being 4 inches or more, his opinion can possibly change. It also helps much more for Internet browsing or texting for the few that still have trouble with the current display size.

Sound off!

2. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I agree however there's nothing like the retina display. No smartphone counterpart compares to it. I'm not sure if I would trade size over the crystal clear iPhone display.

3. KAB2010, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Isn't Retina still valid if it is at least 300 ppi? I know the iPhone 4 has more than that, but if the naked eye still can't see the pixels on a 4 inch screen with that resolution, then it indeed is still Retina. I'm just not sure what the ppi would be for 4 inches and the same resolution, but I'm sure there are simple calculators to do that with.

EDIT: just did it and it appears that it would be around 288 ppi, which is basically the same thing

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I don't think these gestures are that good on a handheld device. I want to be able to use my phone one handed, and for these 4 finger gestures you can't do that. I would hope that they implement a gesture area for these advanced gestures like webos has.

5. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I was just over at Best Buy again today playing with the iPhone 4, and honestly, I can barely tell the difference between that any my 3GS. Yeah, text is a bit crisper, but I seriously doubt anyone on this planet could tell the difference between 326 and 288 PPI.

To OP's point: I can do most things on the phone now with one hand. Why would I want to use two hands so I can do these 'gestures'? (one hand to hold the phone and one hand to 'gesture' with).

Seems idiotic on such a small device.

I file that right up there with 3D TV and mouse gestures. Gimmicky at best.

6. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

While I don't really care for 4 or 5 finger gestures either, I just wanted to create a thread discussing it since it's likely to happen.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r