Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lslukas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
Hi! I’m pretty new here so forgive me if I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m an artist who teaches.

I’ve just got a new iMac and an 8TB seagate external drive. I want to set up so I can take videos and work on them without filling up the storage on my iPhone, iPad, and new iMac. I do use certain photo albums on my iPhone when I teach art.

can anyone advise on how to best set it up?

thanks so much
Lori

lslukas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
I haven't yet "upgraded" to macos 10.15, so my experience is limited to now obsolete products.

But I have configured my Aperture (very obsolete), iTunes (renamed to Apple music), and Photos (probably still current) libraries to an external drive.

There's no moving files back and forth-- the programs are able to read and write to the external drive.

Two issues--
  • the external drive is likely slower than an SSD, which may come into play when editing movies
  • you'll still need a backup drive

lslukas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
That sounds great. Are you saying the New 8TB external drive I have will not be enough? I also have a Seagate 4TB that I use for my Time Machine.

lslukas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2020
No, of course not. But I will continue to use that to back up the iMac, if I have moved Photos to the 8TB. Right? It’s the 8TB that needs the back up. Am I understanding you?

jerwin

Suspended
Jun 13, 2015
Oh sure. As long as you have less than 4 TB of actual data spread around on your drives, a 4TB back up drive is sufficient.

And if you want to throw caution to the wind, you can manually exclude everthing on that 8TB drive from being backed up. Wouldn't want to recommend it, but you have that option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.