Optimal way to Play PC games?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Rugon, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Rugon macrumors newbie

Hello all. I recently boot a macbook for college - taking advantage of the printer and ipod deals, basically, otherwise I'm personally not a fan. I don't know what the official designation of my computer is, but It was the 1299 macbook.

I"m trying to figure out the best way to play a PC game that i just picked up on ebay. The game is Medieval Total War, and its expansion, Viking Invasion. They were both produced between '02-'03, so I'm not worried about installing something and then having to play a just-released game, these don't require anything particularly high tech in the way of graphics cards and all that jazz.

What is the best, easiest, and/or cheapest way to go about playing this game? Should I use boot camp, which has been recommended to me, or pick up a PC emulator? If the former, apparently I need to pick up a windows xp something or other. Where do I do that, and how much money will that cost me? Can I upgrade to this OS X thing which has leopard and apparently already comes with boot camp, and if so do i then need to go and still get that windows xp thing. It's frustrating.

Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Pick up a copy of Windows from your campus and install it using Boot Camp.

3. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Especially since you're not a big Mac fan, you can divide up your hard disk for Mac and Windows and get the best of both.

4. kyrow123 macrumors member

kyrow123

+1

5. Rugon thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, thanks everyone. How much should windows xp cost (I saw that there's a home edition)?

Also, one of the nice things about macs if you can't get viruses. Am I still immune, so long as I"m on the mac section of the hard drive?

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you're in Windows, you can still get viruses. It's just like you're using a normal PC laptop.

If you're in Mac OS X, it's just as susceptible to viruses as if Windows wasn't on there.

7. cuestakid macrumors 68000

NewEgg has copies of XP Home for 90

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

before doing that do check with your bookstore/IT department as they may have copies of XP or even vista for cheap-just be sure that it is the full-version and NOT an upgrade-upgrades will not work with Boot Camp