Optimise fcpx10.2 with pcie 2tb raid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steveOooo, Jun 15, 2017.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

so tomorrow I should receive my sonnet pcie adapter thingy that lets you slip in 2x 2.5" ssd in one pcie lane. I already have 2x crucial 1tb ssds.

I will carry on with my existing set up but would like to move current projects onto the 2tb ssd raid for snappier editing.

Q. How can I make fcpx as fast as possible using the ssd - should I move templates or cache folders to the ssd?

With my late 2013 Mbp, third party plugins like text / effects are really responsive whereas on my 2010 MacPro using my existing 4tb spinner raid, 128gb ssd (apps / os only) and 2tb home directory (wd green slow spinner) they tend to be a bit slow, everything is a bit slow or often have to wait for stuff to happen

Overall I prefer using fcpx on my mbp versus my 2010 - so that's another £700 gone, dam u flash storage and your nimbleness.

2. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

I never check where is those plugin / library stored, but in your case, may be on the WD Green HDD, which is a very poor performance storage. To speed up FCPX, you have to put all relevant data onto a SSD. Anyway, if you are happy to work on the MBP, then really have no need to fix the MP, why not just stay with the working solution?

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point - I should see where the plugins are stored - they are in filters / text / generators so probably where motion 5 templates are stored.

Performance isn't very poor - using 2x7200rpm 4tb wd Black drives (about 150mbps) I bought the MacBook off eBay a month ago and was surprised at how much of a difference a ssd system makes despite it being just a laptop.

4. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

all installed - about 804MB/s write / 693MB/s read

Should I enable trim with the terminal command? I've had a 128gb ssd as the boot since late 2011 without trim, will this mess things up?

2TB SSD used for media files.

5. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Yes, you should enable TRIM whenever possible. I use the terminal command since it avail back in Yosemite. It work flawlessly so far, nothing to worry about.

6. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

All working fine though I can't move 'motion templates' from my 2tb wd green (5400rpm) to the ssd - symbolic link didn't work.

Guess I'll be installing a 3rd ssd to act as my home directory to replace my wd green!

7. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

FCPX performance is also improved in 10.3, as well as 10.3.3, so you should update to the latest version...