Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I understand that this setting will free up space by keeping photo originals on iCloud and smaller versions on the phone.
However, if i decide to forward a photo from my phone, will it send the smaller version or download the larger version before forwarding?

thanks

johaen8

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
Near Montgomery, AL
It does not send thumbnails, but it also does not typically send the full size original. It will normally send a compressed version. It is possible to send the full size original though. See this link for more details:
Really though, there’s no reason to go through all that. The slightly compressed versions that you would send the normal way are good enough for sharing.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
It does not send thumbnails, but it also does not typically send the full size original. It will normally send a compressed version. It is possible to send the full size original though. See this link for more details:
Really though, there’s no reason to go through all that. The slightly compressed versions that you would send the normal way are good enough for sharing.

Atually, I have now played with it a little and I am not sure this is correct.
It would seem that whenever you open a photo, the phone will immediately download the original from icloud (as long as you have connection), therefore one would be able to share the full version.
i am annoyed by the lack of detailed information from Apple on this.
Or maybe it exists and I just can’t find it.

Another issue, is how would this play with OneDrive Camera Share?
When OneDrive (or any other third party app) makes a copy of the picture to load to the Microsoft cloud, will iOS fetch the original from iCloud?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.