Optimising broadband - satellite!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesmcd, Apr 4, 2009.

1. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hey all,

I'm currently on Satellite broadband (unfortunately no other option where I live) and the latency is, as expected, very high. While downloading files is no problem, loading pages like NZHerald and using Google is awful. Generally it takes forever (slower than dial up) and often Google fails to load.

Can someone suggest some third-party software so that I can make this bearable? :) I've heard of using software to somehow optimise broadband so that it requests sites differently.

Thanks,
    James

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I don't know whether this will help... but try this... (From a random website.. and in my Evernote notebook) First.. you will need firefox.... and then follow the instructions.... it makes it a hell of a lot faster than anything else....
    Oh.... and finally.. you may want to try Safari 4 Public Beta.... as it supposedly is a lot faster... so maybe may work for you.. I would still try the firefox first...

Attached Files:

3. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Could always cut all the trees down between you and the Hospital signal broadcast. That's if you are using Whoosh. :)
    Most of Hamilton has 3G Vodafone network which, by the sound of it, could be better than you are getting at the moment. Only 2G in Cambridge & TA though.

I use a USB Vodem with a MacBook Pro. In Hokitika tonight on 2G. Last week in ChCh on 3G.
    S.

4. jamesmcd thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Ah no I have good broadband in Hamilton - This is in farmland Pukekohe. It's proper Satellite, not Woosh. No other broadband opportunities, the cell phone reception is often not there. Pathetic considering the house is within 30 minutes of the country's largest city.

5. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Agree, Broadband coverage is pathetic country wide.. Pukekohe seems to have been forgotten ~ as has the South Island West coast :(
    Sorry I couldn't help.