Optimising Dual Band on Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wannadie, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wannadie macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just bought an airport extreme and can't understand what advantage there is to differentiate the dual band frequencies i.e. having two separate 2.4 GHz and 5GHz networks.

Given that 5GHz generally has better speed and 2.4GHz generally has better range I want my devices to preferentially communicate on the 5GHz channels but automatically switch to the 2.4GHz channel when it is advantageous, or (if possible) exploit data transfer from both channels simultaneously?!!

What would happen if I set up both channels to have the same SSID and password?

Can I add preference to my network settings on my iPad (if I have both channels running independently)?

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. oneMadRssn Suspended

oneMadRssn

I'd also like to know the answer to this question, as I'm considering buying an Airport Extreme.

3. drsox, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I have this setup because I have a mix of 2.4Ghz (iPhone, Wireless Camera) and 5Ghz (everything else), but I would rather just have 5Ghz.

To ensure that stuff works best (but this doesn't always connect properly), I have different SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I set the connect priority order for 5Ghz devices as 5Ghz first and then 2.4Ghz (this is set in System Preferences>Network>WiFi>Advanced>Preferred Networks). If you don't do this then I guess you may "always" be connecting to the 2.4Ghz band. As it is the connection can get stuck on 2.4Ghz even if the device is moved closer to a 5Ghz AE. (I have 4 AE units, some in dual band mode and some in 5Ghz only mode).

With the new AExpress, the same settings work on the AExpress and the AExtreme.

Never tried to send stuff on both bands simultaneously.