Optimising iMac for potential buyer.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mirai 11, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Hello,
    Someone who is definitely interested in my iMac is coming to visit it on Wednesday, and i need to try and get it greatly optimised in order to make a great impression on it.
    I was thinking of first formatting the hard drive, then restoring it using Time Machine, but i don't want many of the applications installed. Ideally i'd only like iTunes + content, Pictures and a few Applications and settings to be kept. Could there be a way of doing this?
    So when thats done, is there any other ways of able to speed the system up?
    My iMac usually takes 80 seconds to boot up to the Desktop, and i'm trying to get it to only 50..
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Instead of restoring from Time Machine, use Migration Assistant to only pull what you want

Check your startup items in your account to see what is loading at start up

3. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

I can use that with Time Capsule? I thought Migration Assistant could only be used from one Mac to another?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

It works also on an external disk too, not just Mac-Mac.

5. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Oh, so is there a guide somewhere that shows this? I've got my music and photos backed up twice, so as long as they're safe, i don't mind how its done.

6. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Anyone? I just want to make sure it'll go smoothly and i won't lose anything valuable to me.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

When you get to the Migration Assistant stage after a fresh OS install, it'll ask whether you want to migrate from a Time Machine volume, a Mac over the network, a directly connected hard drive, or via Firewire Target Disk Mode. You pick the one you want, point it at the right volume, and it offers to migrate whatever you want.

You can test out what it'll do right now--just run Migration Assistant manually from the Utilities folder and stop before actually committing to the migration. You can see exactly what it'll offer and what's involved.

I'm guessing here you want to have some stuff on it to demonstrate how it works before actually selling it? If so, my recommendation would be to do a format and reinstall, as you were planning, but NOT using Migration Assistant at all--rather, just set up a fresh user account, install whatever software you want to install from a fresh download (or the discs you're selling it with), make sure it's fully updated from Software Update, and then just copy enough pictures and music manually to demonstrate. If the person buys it, you now won't have to go through the step of deleting your user account and creating a fresh one. If they don't, and you want to keep using it, NOW use Migration Assistant to bring over your user account--no reason not to do it after the fact.

The advantage of this method is they'll get to see it running about as smoothly as it's possible to make it run--fully updated software, not crusty stuff leftover from your using it (and no private info to worry about deleting if they buy it). Even if you decide against this, I'd still recommend creating a fresh user account to demonstrate with, as that'll minimize any leftover settings or customizations of yours.

My only other tip for maximizing speed would be to deselect everything you don't need in the OS install process. I, for example, always deselect all the language translations except the two I'm going to actually use, which is quite a bit of space, and also don't install any extra printer drivers (no longer as much of an issue with 10.6's print driver installer).

Oh, and reboot a couple of times--the first time the OS boots after changing anything low-level, or after an install, it does a bunch of caching that significantly speeds future boots. Rebooting a couple of times will make sure this gets done and it's going to boot as fast as possible.

8. Mirai 11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

That's brilliant, i've backed everything thats important throughout today, so tomorrow i'm going to wipe it.
    It just came to me, but what does anyone reckon of the best way of cleaning the screen?

9. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is any help to you, but thought I'd post this online tutorial from youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cHMHzq5E5I

personally though, depending on the screen of the condition, I wouldn't risk taking the screen apart, I think just a nice clean wipe will do the trick. A mac sells itself :D

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Microfiber cloth (Apple includes one with Macs that have a built-in screen) and either glasses cleaner or the special LCD cleaner spray they sell at office supply stores. If you wear glasses, the cloth and bottle of cleaner that came with your glasses work well--shouldn't damage the screen or coating. Otherwise, go to Staples or the equivalent and buy a pack of LCD cleaner cloths and a bottle of the solution.

Technically a cotton cloth and any mild cleaner are probably fine, but the appropriate stuff is safer--better safe than sorry. You didn't mention whether it was one with a glass screen or exposed LCD, but those tools work well with either--I use them regularly at work and at home on Macs ranging from G5 iMacs to brand new ones, and my matte MBP, and I've never had it damage the screen or coating.