Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Hi all, I have had my Macbook for a couple of years now and loved every min. (apart from the moments that cost me £200).

Anyway I swapped this on Swapz for my Macbook black 2.16, direct swap, soon realised why but fixed it, (Lad thought it had the Nivida graphics card issue, it was the monitor ribbon).

Anyway here are my Stats:

MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1)
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2200 MHz
4 GB - DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHz
GeForce 8600M GT

Hardrive:

Capacity: 320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes)
Model: WDC WD3200BEKT-00F3T0
Revision: 11.01A11
Serial Number: WD-WXM409SK6509
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 7200
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

I want to optimize my Macbook as much as I can, also taking car of it to try to avoid the dreaded Nivida graphics errors. I notice whilst playing flash games, Online games or normal 3D games the heat rises to 95ºc. I recently used some Antec Diamond thermal paste, (a thin layer) this has calmed it down under load a few ºc.

Is their any advice people can give me? I can't afford a new laptop so I'm going to do what i can to prolong the life of this one. It does scared the hell out of me when i see it get over 90ºc.

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you guys :).

Amy

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I notice whilst playing flash games, Online games or normal 3D games the heat rises to 95ºc.
That's quite normal. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:
I can't afford a new laptop so I'm going to do what i can to prolong the life of this one.
There's nothing you need to do to "optimize" your Mac. There are some things you can do to improve performance and reduce demands on system resources: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

macbookamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
That's quite normal. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

There's nothing you need to do to "optimize" your Mac. There are some things you can do to improve performance and reduce demands on system resources: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

Thank you for your response. I have enabled Youtube html5 (was wondering how to do that). Also I've had smcFANcontrol since I got my hands on this. Also have istat on the dashboard.

What I will do if I will screenshot at idle and one at full load. I'm not great with recognizing 'odd' temps (If any).

I would disable Flash completely but I play Bingo Blitz on Facebook :eek:. I'm going to bed now, pretty late (UK) so will screenshot tomorrow.

Thanks again.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Dump the optical drive (maybe get a caddy for it? but i have used my drive maybe 2-3 times in my pro?), get a data doubler from OWC and an SSD.

If you do that, at most things your machine should perform similarly to a late 2010 macbook air - which is to say, in general use - pretty snappy.

macbookamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Dump the optical drive (maybe get a caddy for it? but i have used my drive maybe 2-3 times in my pro?), get a data doubler from OWC and an SSD.

If you do that, at most things your machine should perform similarly to a late 2010 macbook air - which is to say, in general use - pretty snappy.

I have only just fixed the Super drive lol! Good idea though, I could maybe get a solid state drive for OS X and Applications? Documents, photos and videos on the normal hardrive? I have many external hardrives and end up with a far few videos and photos on the normal drive until they are backed up.
photos generally get left on the drive. (motorbike vlogger and photographer = heavy hardrive)

Here are today's istats:

Normal Firefox with 4 tabs open and imail usage:

ScreenShot2012-02-21at155525.png

Under load with PKR application (poker), Firefox open with 4 tabs:
ScreenShot2012-02-21at134636.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here are today's istats:

Normal Firefox with 4 tabs open and imail usage:

Under load with PKR application (poker), Firefox open with 4 tabs:
First, it looks like your battery is pretty much toast. Time for a new one.

To take a closer look at what's contributing to the load on your system, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

macbookamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
First, it looks like your battery is pretty much toast. Time for a new one.

To take a closer look at what's contributing to the load on your system, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

Yeah the battery been on last legs for ages, did buy a new one but it sticks out of the battery compartment, isn't flush at all :(.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 21.48.00.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 21.48.00.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 118

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah the battery been on last legs for ages, did buy a new one but it sticks out of the battery compartment, isn't flush at all :(.

I also have a MBP with the cursed NVIDIA card. I have it set to spin the fans at 3000 all the time, keeps it a bit cooler and I hope that may help.

I am also looking at a cooling pad solution

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If it's swelling, you should replace it immediately, as it can damage your MBP.

Also, look at the Performance Tips I posted, especially the first 3 items. You could clean up some of those unnecessary items like the AAM Updates Notifier. There may be others that you don't need to launch when you login.

macbookamy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
If it's swelling, you should replace it immediately, as it can damage your MBP.

Also, look at the Performance Tips I posted, especially the first 3 items. You could clean up some of those unnecessary items like the AAM Updates Notifier. There may be others that you don't need to launch when you login.

Hi, yep done all of the tips you gave me, had a couple of HP updaters in their, they're useless.

As for the battery - thats why I am using the swollen, ****** battery, the new one seemed like it was swollen. Doesn't look it though, just doesn't fit flush.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.