optimization for future OS's

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattopotamus, Apr 13, 2015.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How do you all think this machine will handle future versions of OSX? Obviously, it is probably pretty optimized to run on Yosemite. Does the processing power concern anyone going forward?

Could it potentially be a bottleneck for the machine going forward next year or the year after? I think most peg the processor as being on par with a 2013 Air. How long will those still get the latest updates? Do they stop getting updates b.c the hardware is not up to par?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good question, the core M is not the most powerful processor out there, I'm not sure how apple would/could do what you say. Older models have struggled with some OS upgrades in the past, so its possible the MacBook may incur this as well.

3. junkw macrumors regular

OSX 10.10.3 still run very fast on macbook 2008. Those are about half the power of the Macbook 12. Don't worry...

4. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I wouldn't worry about that. Typically it tends to be the RAM which limits adoption of a new OS and Yosemite only requires 2 GB so I think we've got quite a few iterations to go before you would need >8 GB by which time all the base MBAs would have fallen by the wayside.

As above, my late 2008 MB (last aluminium Mac called MacBook!) is still going strong with Yosemite so I don't think you'll have any issues running the next few versions unless Apple does something rediculous.

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

I've got a "Late 2008" MBP 15" 2.93 GHz Intel Core Duo. It runs 10.10.3 fast. Note I did put an SSD in it.

My feeling is almost any laptop is going to have a cutting edge lifetime of about a year or two. As you can see from this post I tend to keep laptops longer than most. Well let me just say my employer does as the MBP is a work machine.

I've got a Space Grey Macbook on order.

6. mattopotamus thread starter macrumors G5

mattopotamus

thanks for the replies. It was good to hear from people who actually have laptops 4+ years old. I would probably keep mine, at most, for 3 years. I just didn't want the next OSX update to cripple it, but it sounds like OSX is more RAM dependent anyways.

7. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Like the iPhone, you would be expected to upgrade every 2 years or suffer subpar performance. :D