optimization/upgrade ideas-tips? Thanks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Feb 2, 2011.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone, well the new line of mbp are delayed, and I mis calculated my budget, so buying one soon is out of the question anyway. So now I ask for some feedback and tips for extending/optimizing life and performance of my 13" 2008 unibody macbook.

1. macbook 5,1 2.4ghz. - I have 4gb Ram, but I have heard and read that it is capable of handling 6GB ram, however 8GB would be useless and problematic. Has anyone used 6gb in their 5,1 macbook or something similar?

2. obviously you need a new cpu to increase speed, hence new laptop- but any tips to get more speed out of current specs

3. I tried seagate momentus XT but it ran loud, all the time and was quite hot. Any ideas for a 7200rpm? Yes ssd are sick, if it will really help overall performance and longevity of macbook I will look more into it because it is cheaper than new laptop. Any top brands, speed- 250GB give or take is what I need.

* I have deleted many things, saved 16GB+ more HD space, fixed permissions, cleaned cache, etc. maintenance all of it.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

honestly the ssd is worth the money. it upgrades the computer more than anything else can do.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ram is a great bang for the buck upgrade and its easy to upgrade at home. SSD's cost a fortune but are blazing fast. Your boot time and the time it takes to open apps will drop tremendously.