Optimize Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SiegbertDH, Feb 27, 2010.

1. SiegbertDH macrumors newbie

I would like to stream HD movies with the app PS3 media server from my macbook through my airport extreme, through my PS3. But when I try to do this , it suffers from lag.. I've read some things about the 5ghz and 2.4 ghz settings.. But I don't completely get it.. Can anybody explain this to me and maybe provide me the best settings to do this?

Thank you

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

5Ghz
    +fastest network speeds (especially if using wide channels)
    +lower chance of interference, microwave ovens and some cordless phones operate at 2.4, but some cordless phones operate at 5

-Doesn't go through things well, like walls
    -not backwards compatible, if you have any G devices, you'll need to not use this.

for more check out google

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hard wire the PS3.

Either that or get an AirPort Express and get it to join the wireless n 5 GHz network (assuming you have simultaneous dual band) and extend that to the Express's Ethernet port. Then connect the PS3 to the Express.

Not sure how well the second option would work, but it should give you faster speeds than the 54 Mbps of wireless g (300 Mbps theoretical with 802.11 n only 5 GHz).

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Yeah was just about to post that the PS3 didn't have built in 802.11 N.
    On another note...
    Have many people been able to successfully run full 5Ghz on the AEBS? As soon as I turn on 5ghz my network goes back in time to 1990. I've searched plenty on the forums and it seemed many more were suffering from the same substandard speeds when going primarily to 5. I've since given up (mainly just forgot) since I don't NEED super high speeds atm.

6. SiegbertDH thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the info so far guys. I did forget to mention my PS3 is the new slim version. The actual problem is that I can't stream HD mkv's with my macbook through my ps3 slim. Does anybody know why it lags? is there a solution? do I need to change settings in PS3 Media Server?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You need to wire it up. I believe PS3 Skinny also uses wireless G, atleast according to the specs on the amazon product page (along with everything else i've read).

As you've figured out, you would have to have the worlds best conditions to achieve anywhere near the max of 54 mbps , and I can assure you that you will get substantially less than this unless you are in some sort of wireless test bed at one of the larger chipset makers.

I tried to stream wireless 720p/1080p via PS3 media server on my mac, all wireless, and it didn't work. It worked a little but i'd often have to pause it to let it rebuffer, and my guests would often wonder why my awesome setup sucked so bad :D

The only way I could get the solution to work as it should was to build a Windows 2k8 box and serve it from there (using ps3 media). The entire network is gigabit, wired with Cat6 (won't make a difference, but they were cheap and certified) and now it works great. The server CPU isn't busy doing anything else so I have it on the higher quality settings and it doesn't bat an eye.

With that said, if you really need to be wireless for physical reasons then there are options. The Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter will join your network as a wireless N device, while you just plug it into the PS3's ethernet port. It ain't cheap though, but it will work.

I don't think wG will have enough bandwidth to stream hd, period. Not an any kind of quality (think web video).