Optimize Flash storage MBP Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaicigy, Oct 12, 2012.

1. jaicigy macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Hello everybody, I am the happy (for now) owner of an Apple MBP Retina 2,6Ghz, 8Gb Ram and 512 Flash storage and would like to know what I can do to optimize and keep the flash storage as healthy and clutter free as possible.
    With a conventional HDD you can do defragmentation but I know from SSD disks that this is not recommendable with flash storage. I have also Bootcamped my flash storage and installed Windows 7.

Can anybody give me tips, advices and maybe links to programs or something to keep my system as healthy as possible, in OS X 10.8 as well as in Windows 7?

Many thanks in advance!!

Greetings

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX does a great job at maintaining the system and such there little need to defrag a hard drive in OSX and more so little need to run any sort of utility to keep the SSD "healthy" Defrags will quickly reduce the life span of a SSD due to excessive writes and there's no other utility you need to keep things running on an SSD

3. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your quick and good advice!

Any other opinions/tips anyone?

4. leman macrumors 604

Just use it and don't worry. It does not need any defragmentation or similar.

5. ibd macrumors member

After everything is installed&updated, you can run a "repair file permissions" on the disk via disk utility.app

6. jaicigy, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that already present in the system, Repair File Permissions?

Edit.. yes I found it, THANKS!!

And for Windows 7.. any tips/advice besides Turn off automatic defragmentation?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That was needed on a regular basis back in the days of 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 etc. Now, its only needed if you notice something wonky on your system.

I've not run that since Snow Leopard, installing multiple updates, and what not - my system's been running smooth and problem free.

8. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again!

Any other advices and tips are more then welcome to this freshman for OS X and Macs.

Regards

9. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I leave the MacBook on sleep mode or something in OS X 10.8 at night so now and then to, I don´t know, have it done a Disk clean up or Garbage collection or something?

What is the best way to delete/uninstall Applications so they are fully removed?

Thanks again in advance!

10. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

1. Nah, you don't have to. OSX does run maintenance scripts, but it seems to manage fine without having to leave the computer on or sleeping overnight.

2. Drag it to the trash after you have installed AppCleaner (freeware).

11. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, THANKS!!

12. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Can it do any harm to leave the power adapter always connected to the MBP Retina so having the battery all the time fully charged and not uncharging?

13. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

The optimal way to store a Li-Ion battery is to discharge it to ~40% and leave it there.

However if you are actually using the laptop, leaving it at 100% is better than constantly cycling the battery to get it to hover at 40%.

Now if only there was a way to tell the laptop not to charge the battery while plugged in, things would be golden for hyper-battery-milers. :D

14. jaicigy thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent explanation and yes.. too bad the internal battery of the MBPr cannot be taken out or not be charged constantly.

I guess I will discharge so now and then the battery to optimize the life of the battery.

Thanks again!