optimize (web)app for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wedelgaard, Sep 12, 2012.

1. wedelgaard macrumors member

Hi Guys,

So the big day arrived and the iPhone 5 was announced with a new screen size of 640 x 1136.

Have any of you guys an idea on how to optimize a web app for the new screen (I don't want the black bars at the top and bottom of the app)? Atm. I have an app which works fine for 3GS and iPhone 4 with the content in a 320x480 wrapper div.. But what with the new iPhone 5? What size should the wrapper be?

2. wedelgaard thread starter macrumors member

Since no one answered my post, I did the math myself :) As far as I can calculate the size for web apps for iPhone 5 needs to be 320x548

Here is my calculations:

iPhone 5 screen height (portrait):

(1136 px / 2) -20 px = 548 px

The minus 20 px is for the mandatory iPhone statusbar.

iPhone 5 screen width (portrait):

Same as iPhone 4 and 3GS = 320px

3. IanBauters macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 size

That's correct, the only problem still to solve is how to get the new start screen on the iPhone 5… Oh well, shouldn't take more than a day to solve

4. wedelgaard thread starter macrumors member

Do you mean the splashscreen for naitive web apps, or the media queries for selecting a specific stylesheet for iphone5?

5. kylejlarson macrumors newbie

I just put together a guide on this. Looks like you figured it out, but I've also got the startup image in there, assuming it works like the 4s it'd be 640x1096 making the 3 sizes:

Code:
    <link rel="apple-touch-startup-image" href="images/ios_startup.png"> 
    <link rel="apple-touch-startup-image" href="images/ios_startup@2x.png" sizes="640x920">
    <link rel="apple-touch-startup-image" href="images/ios_startup_large@2x.png" sizes="640x1096">
    iPhone 5 Web Design article