Optimized for Retinal Display Apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eddy2099, Oct 14, 2010.

1. eddy2099 macrumors member

I am actually looking at getting either Office2 or QuickOffice Mobile Connect Suite but feature-wise, I am gearing towards Office2 because of the PDF Export feature.

The above is not my question but I see that the QuickOffice Mobile Connect Suite states that it is 'Optimized for Retinal Display'. Which puzzles me.

I am using an iPod Touch 4 and understand that the display comes with Retinal Display which is great. However, I thought that the iPod Touch 4 would automatically optimized text in apps for retinal display but the above statement kind of confused me, does it mean that the retinal display optimization must be done at the apps level ?

I know the iPod Touch 4 screen is small and being able to read small text clearly would certainly be a plus.

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yes, it's at the App level. Apps run at a native screen resolution, that is , whatever they are programmed to be. If an app is programmed with a native resolution of 480x320, then it's going to look "stretched" on the 960 Retina Display, because it's pulling those 480 pixels over 960 pixels. Apps needs to be redone at the Retina resolution in order to take advantage of it.

3. Warbitrary macrumors regular

The iPod touch will optimize text and some standard interface elements for the retina display, but custom icons and graphics need to be updated by the app developer.

4. eddy2099 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am looking more at text here so I supposed it would not make a difference to me. This certainly make choosing which apps to buy a lot easier.

Thanks for the help.