Optimizing a website for PowerPc

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SawyerTHEBEST, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SawyerTHEBEST macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

I don't know **** about html/xml/css BUT I'm all about learning, and I just started a blog on blogger.com about PowerPc and would like some tips/ link / anything that could help make the site load awesomely on even the poopiest powerpc mac ^_^ thanks. Also a simplistic blogger template to build off of would be awesome

Just to save time - What I do know how to do -
    -Make pictures load better lol :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No moving GIFs, very little javascript, no Flash, no movies or audio, single colour background, not to many images. Emulate an early 2000 webpage. HTML 5 is acceptable.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's not the Mac that would be loading the pictures slow, it would be the internet connection. I have a fiber optic connection, and pictures load pretty quick on my clamshell running OS 9. Just keep images down to 72 dpi, and have them at a decent size and you'll be okay. It's the flash/javascript that gets in the way.

4. SawyerTHEBEST thread starter macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

by that I meant like no 5mb .tiff images, png,gif,jpeg only :p that doesn't make a huge difference anyways.

5. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Blogger? There are a lot of templates that would Qualify as 'PowerPC Friendly' Just do a google search for blogger templates. Do not use the new blogger templates.

Also I think Blogger still has some of the 'standard' templates. I think my blog would load just fine on any powerpc mac:

http://rodolfohernan20.blogspot.com

Otherwise if you plan to host your own blog, go with any simple html template or create your site with iWeb.

6. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Even a lot of the "Standard" templates are slow on the older, <500 MHz PowerPCs because of the JavaScript.

Making your own HTML is not hard; personally, I learned it in only a couple of hours. W3Schools is a great resource.

7. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

I would just avoid silly things like using photoshop to make a gradient for the background. just don't get lazy. The smaller you keep the site, the quicker it will load.

8. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Avoid Flash, it is slow even for G5 cpus. I wrote my Website with Taco HTML Edit, all images were saved at final size, 72 ppi, using Photoshop "Save for Web and Devices." For gradients, use a narrow width jpeg and repeat horizontally or use CSS. Learn CSS and HTML, knowing how a page is constructed and stylized goes a long way toward building good sites for all types of cpus, old or new. PowerPCs can handle JQuery easily. Try that for slideshows. One last note, make up your mind early about Internet Explorer users. Either you support them or not, I chose not to. I'm not wasting my time with Microsoft products, life is too short.

9. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

I beg to differ.. on my G5 Quad flash runs smoothly and no problems, though yes, I prefer HTML5 and Quicktime, but I can play 720p to 1080p and sometimes 4096p and it does not choke at all. Maybe the fans rev a bit, but nevertheless flash runs nicely on the Quad.

I can't speak for the MDD G4 and or non-dual core G5 models, but I suspect on the dual 2.5 and dual 2.7 flash would run fine also.

10. SawyerTHEBEST thread starter macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

I beg to differ.. on my G5 Quad flash runs smoothly
    QUAD G5

Alot more people are using single G3, or G4 processors. SOOOOOOOOOOO

QUAD G5 :apple::apple::apple::apple:

11. AlbertEinstein macrumors regular

AlbertEinstein

When it comes to webdesign one should, in pretty much every case, design for performance.

A lot of people are talking about minimizing your CSS and optimizing your images, however; that doesn't solve the underlying problem.
    To design a well performing website, one needs to focus on maximizing the necessities and remove the luxarities.

A easy summary is that one should create a website that is both simple and efficient. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Can i create a equally meaningful design using less?"

I can also suggest that you learn how to code. Today's PowerPC browsers have a lot of tricks up their sleeves that can make your site leaner and your life easier. If you know how to build a site, you'll know what to avoid.:apple:

12. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

You are right, but it doesn't hurt to try :) The standard are not as slow as you think.