Optimizing an AirPort network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by digitalmac, Oct 28, 2009.

1. digitalmac macrumors member

digitalmac

Currently I have 1 AirPort Extreme as the base station for connecting the Internet and 2 AirPort Express to extend the network so that I can have Internet access wherever I go in my house. However, I don't think my current setting is optimized for my setup. I want to know if there are any great tools out there? And I use "Participate in a WDS network" as my wireless mode.
    Previously I use Stumbler for monitoring the network signal. Any others?

2. jbrettz macrumors member

Since everything is airport, then use "extend the network." instead of WDS. WDS will be slower. I'm not a techie but I have read enough to know that you want to use "extend the network" also pick higher channels to use.like 161 for less interference and more speed. I have a time capsule, an airport express and a airport extreme covering my house.

3. jbrettz macrumors member

I also use this ebook to help me set up my network. Really a great book to help you set it up.

Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network

Make your 802.11n-based AirPort network fast, reliable, and secure!

Find real-world advice from Wi-Fi wizard Glenn Fleishman on setting up the 802.11n models of Apple's AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and Time Capsule, with full information about the simultaneous dual-band models introduced in early 2009. You'll get help with all the special networking details, such as how to set the best band and channel for your network, use pre-802.11n base stations and clients without hurting performance, set up complex Internet addressing, share USB disks and printers, solve a variety of problems, and much, much more (see the "More Info" tab below).

http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/airport-n

4. digitalmac thread starter macrumors member

digitalmac

Thanks jbrettz for your information. I did change from "WDS" to "Extending the network". I am still looking for tools that could help monitor the signals.