Optimizing and customizing WebKit/Safari 5.0.6 on iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Jun 18, 2013.

  1. RedCroissant, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

    RedCroissant Suspended

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #1
    I've been having a bit of fun today with Safari because I wanted to see a change in the interface and the way websites appear. I also really like the address bar being used as a search bar in the most updated version of Sarai, so I attempted to emulate that.

    I was able to get rid of the search bar using the property list editor, I downloaded the PPC port of OmniBar, and then edited that .plst file to add support for Bing search in addition to the Google default. After that, I created a .css file to set the default zoom for all webpages so that when I get to MacRumors or Apple, I don't have to hit command - anymore. With a 1024 X 768 display, changing these makes Safari more usable in my opinion and I am enjoying messing around with stuff. And yes, I made duplicates of all important files(I'm not crazy!)
     
  2. crewkid89 macrumors regular

    crewkid89

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2011
    Location:
    United States
    #2
    Could you add some screenshots? Also have you considered using leopard WebKit? I have been using it and it seems quite nice to stock safari as far as speed and compatibility.
     
  3. RedCroissant, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

    RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #3

    I actually do use WebKit but since any changes I make to WebKit are mirrored in Safari, I just said Safari. And yes, I like WB as well and use that primarily. All I have to do now is update my system to use WB instead of Safari when clicking on links in Mail and stuff like that.
     
  4. RedCroissant, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

    RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #4
    The Toolbar Item.nib file edits are here and you should be able to see the differences. I simply selected the search bar and dragged it off the app window to delete it, then saved the canges, restarted WebKit and voila!

    Toolbar Items:


    Search Provider plist file:


    and the edits I made in DashCode so that Google wasn't the default(the selected text in blue):



    And sorry if the images and/or links don't display since I'm having some trouble getting them to post!
     

Share This Page