Optimizing FCP for 5D Mark II files...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MattSepeta, Feb 15, 2011.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

After seeing numerous different techniques through google searches, I decided to ask you guys... What can I do to optimize performance with FCP while working on 1080 24p 5D Mark II .mov files?

My first attempt resulted in FCP telling me my sequence settings did not match clip, and asking me if I wanted FCP to automatically match the sequence settings to the clip, so I said yes. Works fine for cutting and chopping etc, but whenever I add even the most basic motion or transition it wont play back without rendering... very time consuming.

I read alot about transcoding into Apple ProRes 422, is this sometihng I should be doing?

Thanks guys.

2. simsaladimbamba

You should definitely look into transcoding your footage into ProRes 422, as it will save valuable CPU time and the Mac you edit with will be a much more responsive one, as the Mark II stores its footage using the H264 codec, which is not an editing codec and FCP will use a lot of CPU to properly decode the footage while inside a timeline.

Which workflows have come upon? Can you link to them?

3. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I'll echo the last post. While technically FCP can edit the H264 footage, you really need to transcode. H264 is meant to be a delivery codec. And despite what users of other NLEs say, it should stay that way.

There are a couple of ways to go about it. Since you have Final Cut, you should also have Compressor. There are other software solutions out there (like the free MPEG Streamclip), but if you have Compressor you might as well use it.

Also, I'm pretty sure Canon provides a Final Cut driver that you can install so that you can transcode using the Log and Transfer utility within Final Cut.

It's really just a matter of preference.

Also, you'll be fine transcoding to either standard ProRes or ProRes LT depending on what version you're running. No need to go all the way with ProRes HQ.

4. vizfxman macrumors regular

+1 for the ProRes comments.

I'm currently editing with FCP using footage from a 5D, 7D, and the RED. I've converted it all to ProRes and it's been fairly smooth.

5. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

If you have CS5 or CS4, use adobe media encoder's "watch folder" functionality to render out either ProRes or ProRes LT files

6. uptherighttree macrumors member

another +1 for ProRes

it adds a chunk of time if you dont have a beast of a machine to do the encoding but i usually leave it running overnight (crappy macbook pro)

Also, streamclip does a fab job as well so I pretty much agree with what everyone has said and didn't really need to pad this post out as much as i have :)

7. jwheeler macrumors regular

Here is another option to look into

http://dvfilm.com/epic/mac/index.htm

It looks like it converts to a useable proxy (not sure what codec???) But it means you can edit in real time once the files have finished loading (see their videos). Plus when you render it goes back to the original canon files, so no data loss between camera and whats supplied to FCP render queue!

I'm definitely considering it.

8. smokescreen76 macrumors member

The Canon and Apple recommended workflow is to use the Canon EOS E1 Log and Transfer Plug-In available from the Canon website.

It gives you the option of transcoding to any FCP "optimized" ProRes flavour, adds timecode to the clips and adds reel names to the clips.

Other options can do similar things but this plugin is the only option that works within FCP and guarantees you end up with properly encoded video.

Mpeg Streamclip is a great application but is not ideal for converting Canon footage for FCP. It doesn't create timecode or a reel name (making any kind of conform impossible) and there are just so many options that for a novice it could create more problems than solve them.