Optimizing Maya performance on MBP 2009

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sapling animations, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Sapling animations macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am a beginner in Maya. I am using a student license for Maya 2014. When I load up a character rig, my MacBook Pro will crash sometimes, and various other errors in the program happen. I know that would happen, because my MacBook Pro is from 2009. Here are the specs.

MacBook Pro 15" mid 2009
    2.8ghz Intel core 2 duo
    Nvidia GeForce 9400m 256mb
    8gb of ram
    256gb SSD

I know I need to get a new computer, but I need to get by for now. Maya won't crash that often, but it will lag occasionally and my MacBook Pro will over heat. I'm just curious to see if there's anything I can do to get the most out of it for now. Can I go into Maya settings and do some optimization to make the performance better? I use smc fan control to cool down my MacBook Pro, and it's always plugged into the wall due to the service battery warning.

Thank you,
    Sapling animations

2. TheIguana, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Get a new battery from Apple. While it may seem counterintuitive if your battery is coming up as "Service Battery" your MBP will likely automatically reduce performance by throttling your CPU/GPU. This is a hardware power function as at full load a MBP can exceed the power available from the charger and will also pull from the battery simultaneously.

Given your Macs specs you have already hit the big performance boosters from a hardware perspective. On Maya's end there isn't much you can change in the settings, it more comes down to how complex your models are.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

What version of OS X do you have on the computer, and are you updated to Maya 2014 Service Pack 4?

4. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

One more suggestion... grab a copy of gfxCardStatus and make sure that you are using the 9600M GT graphics (discrete) when running Maya.