Optimizing PS on new(used) Macbook Pro.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jerriji, Feb 23, 2013.

1. jerriji macrumors newbie

I just purchased a used 2011 i7 15" MBP with a 240gb SSD drive and 16 gigs of ram. I would like to use this as my working drive. I'm going to switch out the optical drive for a 750gb 7200rpm conventional which I can purchase for $75 through OWC or another SSD. Samsung has a 250gb SSD which I've seen on sale foe $150. I'm currently using most intensively PS CS4, Lightroom 4, Corel Painter X, and Artrage. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to CS6 from CS4. However, in the 64 bit mode I can still utilize all my ram with CS5 which is my main reason for upgrading.

What would be the best way to optimize the SSD drive and ram for SC5. Some of my files are large (up to a 1/2 a gig that I print to a Epson 9600. And what would be better as a second drive to store my working files, a 750gb 7200rpm conventional drive or a 250gb SSD dive?

I also have 1.5 terabytes of external storage and another 2tbs on the way.

Your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jerry

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I would go for the second SSD everytime, but thats just me. If you feel that you can take the GB hit by going with the SSD, then do it. Especially when working with large files it would be much better than the 7200RPM drive of course.

Provided you have the extra money and can sacrifice space by using the externals instead, an SSD would be a much better experience for moving large files back and forth.

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Using another SATA 3 SSD in the optical drive bay is definitely not a good idea.
    See the URL below.
    Quoted from OWC's HP:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/
    "Special compatibility notes related to use of this product (Data Doubler) with 6Gb/s SSDs in the following machines:
    2011 MacBook Pro 15" (Model ID MacBookPro8,2)
    2011 MacBook Pro 17" (Model ID MacBookPro8,3)
    • OPTICAL BAY: The optical bay interface in these machines may either be SATA Revision 2.0 3Gb/s OR SATA Revision 3.0 6Gb/s. There is no way to specify/order this data interface with Apple, but you can confirm what interface/link speed version your optical bay offers via the Apple System Profiler.

Testing has demonstrated that Apple factory hardware does not reliably support a 6G (6Gb/s) Solid State Drive or Hard Disk Drive in the optical bay of 2011 MacBook Pros (ModeI ID8,1; 8,2; 8,3). If your OWC Data Doubler bundle comes with a 6G drive, you should ONLY install that drive in the main drive bay and utilize the Data Doubler to re-task your existing drive or install a new 3G SSD or HDD in the optical bay. PRE-2011 models can utilize a 6G drive in the optical bay, but will do so at a reduced 3G (3Gb/s) speed."