Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
Hi all,

I have a Time Capsule which I use for back-ups etc. I have this set to the 4GHz band (N) and use it with bridge mode with another router (Which acts as the modem) Which is on the 2.4GHz band (G)

I was wondering if you had any tips on how to optimize the speed and eprformance of the Time Capsule, and maybe what settings you tweaked in the set-up.

Just wondering...

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you can (presuming you're using a fairly recent Mac) I'd attach the Time Capsule to the modem using an ethernet cable, either turn off or ignore the wireless from the modem and use the Time Capsule alone for your wireless access in 802.11 N mode. If the Time Capsule is communicating with any G clients (including your modem) it will slow the N network down to G speeds, which the above change should avoid.

A variant of the above is to run 2 separate wireless networks, one N only on the 5GHz band (from the Time Capsule, for your Mac and any other N-capable clients) and one b/g on the 2.4GHz band (from your modem, for any b/g capable clients like an iPhone). That's what I do (except with an Airport Extreme rather than a TC) and it works well.

dylanbrown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
London
I'm actually a long time Mac user, but just wondering what settings you might have changed to optimize your Time Capsule.

Currently, I have a router/modem which broadcasts its own 2.4GHz Wireless Network for guests and my iPod touch and my Dad's iPhone. (I made hime get it :)!)

It is connected to Ethernet to the TC's WAN port and that broadcasts a 5GHz frequency for all the computers and Apple TV.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm actually a long time Mac user, but just wondering what settings you might have changed to optimize your Time Capsule.

Currently, I have a router/modem which broadcasts its own 2.4GHz Wireless Network for guests and my iPod touch and my Dad's iPhone. (I made hime get it :)!)

It is connected to Ethernet to the TC's WAN port and that broadcasts a 5GHz frequency for all the computers and Apple TV.
I have wireless turned off entirely on my Time Capsule. It is connected via Ethernet to a switch, which serves as the center of the network. From there, computers and other devices with Ethernet connections can use it directly, and devices connecting wirelessly go through the wireless access point (which happens to be an Apple AirPort Extreme with 802.11N), then via Ethernet to the TC. Works surprisingly fast this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.