Optimizing WiFi battery life using G only.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oplix, Jun 13, 2010.

1. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

I did some research because my wireless N was acting up and only using 5.5mbps even though I was in the same room as the router. Anyway it looks like N mode can use up to TWICE the peak watts as wireless G.

I would recommend anyone who is using their macbook on wireless N to disable N mode in router configuration. Not only does G perform better in most situations, it also uses less power thus giving you more battery life.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

3. Groat macrumors member

Your router should have some configurations on what setting the wifi signal uses.

4. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

This is not entirely true. As 802.11-N has matured to standard, the technology has been refined with focus on performance and power saving. Properly configured N implementations take advantage of SM, PMSP, and other power savers.

The Broadcom chipsets Apple uses in it's devices make use of power saving technologies to reduce active and idle power consumption and extend battery life. They achieve low active transmit and receive power consumption and low power in standby and idle modes. It's not all about peak power. Overall, everything I've read about N leads me to believe that it is more efficient than G.

5. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

agreed