Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
I need to replace my DELL U2413 https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-u2413/pd, looking over at Dell this model appears to have superseded it as is the recommend via link https://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-up2516d-monitor/pd

I bought the Dell based on online forum recommendations, possibly here. It was a beautiful screens and the colour rendering was impeccable.

However, it developed a serious backlight bleed that made it really uncomfortable to use but I did not fully appreciate until I moved it into a less bright room recently, so it could have been like that for 2 years! :( :( Now it's out of warranty.

I'm on a old dull dell monitor and things are like mush.

Thus, I need some help and guidance, TBH I'm thinking 27" is going to be too big, even the 23" I found big enough or little bit big, and it was 1980x1200. Unless there is a better Physical Size + Res, I found the extra height useful sometimes but I am starting to think it was the undetected backlight bleed that made it a bit uncomfortable to look at and not the size in the end (but 23" or thereabouts seem plenty big), it was such weird hard to put you finger on it thing, once I switch to a lesser but no backlight bleeding, calm was restored, crazy as that seems, but you don't really spot it until you have a very dark room, and the screen is on but black.

Ok to the point - I'm looking at LG since the Dell experience has been bad, and don't want to go that route again if it can be avoided.

Colour Gamut is important, anti-glare, the Dell was 1920*1200 if I remember and that was fine but I do like the 16:9 ratio too, but that extra native height is good for design work.

Naturally there are display limit to the Macmin6,2 - If there was a native 2560*1600 23-25" model I'd consider it! I haven't seen such a spec-config yet. Mostly 2560*1440 but I'd probably also settle right now to have a nice screen for 1920*1080

Any pointers suggestion very much welcomed, because I also have the added disadvantage of not even being abel to go to a store and look at monitors due to the ongoing madness - Thanks!

Last edited:

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I like my native Apple Thunderbolt 27" and 24" Cinema Displays (I have many).

They show the correct "Apple native fonts" that I have become accustomed to.

These have been used on:
2011 Mac Mini
2012 Mac Mini
2014 Mac Mini
2018 Mac Mini
2020 M1 Mini
2014 MBP
2015 MBP
2019 MBP (16")

Unfortunately these aren't new so second hand market only...

I picked up my 4th 27" Thunderbolt display for $200 on eBay last month....

Reactions: Omega Mac

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Eureka! I completely forgot I have a Cinema display 1680*1050 from a 2008 MacPro gathering dust.

I hooked it up and it's super vibrant in comparison to temp Dell I was using, oMG WTF was I doing... suffering!

I don't even mind a bit less screen estate, fees more focused but the reds, it's always the reds, they are RED, oh an dhteb luges, the vibrancy! I'll just ignore all the cables ?

Also I'm not in the US so the proliferation of Cinema displays is probably far lower and cost of transport might be prohibitive and the issue of not being able to view the used monitor in person, but I'll look into it, maybe reconditioned models from reputable suppliers - there is also an element of Apple owners at that end of the market lolling after the kit, and the kit of a certain vintage is pretty robust over the years, as is evidenced by the solution!

Problem solved for now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4sallypat

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Eureka! I completely forgot I have a Cinema display 1680*1050 from a 2008 MacPro gathering dust.

I hooked it up and it's super vibrant in comparison to temp Dell I was using.

I don't even mind a bit less screen estate, fees more focused but the reds, it's always the reds, they are RED, oh an dhteb luges, the vibrancy! I'll just ignore all the cables ?

Problem solved for now. Thanks!
Glad to hear that you got the Cinema Display working.

And yes, the colors are amazing - even though they are 10 years+ old.

I just got a new 4K Samsung and the colors are not as true as the Apple displays so that has to tell you something!

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Well it does, thank you. Very insightful.

Also there is the bonus of it being in style with the mac mini.

I have to say the colours are vibrant like the Dell2413. I am throughly impressed. The Mac Pro got used headless a lot so I forgot about the monitor, I should never have gotten that Dell monitor. I had this al along, how silly of me! ?

You post has saved me $$$$'s and will probably also cost me some in the long run as I hunt for elusive Cinema displays ;)

Last edited:

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
@4sallypat I'm seeing your point re: fonts now. However I might also add, fonts overall look or are rendered much better on this 12 year old cinema display, much much better. I do not find small fonts are as unpleasant to read as before. This is an unexpected result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.