Optimum torrent client settings.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Robedom, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Robedom macrumors newbie

Hey, I don't know what it is, but I can't get good download speeds using uTorrent or Vuze. My DL max is like 150 when compared on speedtest it should be way higher than this. Are there any settings in Vuze that I can do to make this go faster. Also, my router occasionally crashes when downloading, any idea why this would happen? Thanks in advance!

2. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Make sure you're not mixing up kilobits per second (kbps) and kilobytes per second (KB/s). If you need to convert between them, 1 kilobyte = 8 kilobits.

3. marzy macrumors member

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

2nd poster is right, don't confuse KB/s and Kb/s...they are not the same.

When you setup Vuze you need to edit your prefs in the Vuze program to only allow maybe 60 connections at a time. See if that stabilizes your router from crashing, and if so, inch up by 5 connections at a time until it starts to crash again, then drop back by 10....

Also in Vuze set your Max DL speed to 80% of what SpeedTest says you have available. Do the same with your Max UL speed. This will also keep your network from getting bogged down, and reduce your crashes.

HTH

Brian

5. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Also note that you'll never get a torrent DL rate that equals your speedtest rates. What's your speedtest rate?