Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I still don't know why people are saying OLED(in phones and mp3 players) is expensive when small Korean companies like Cowon and iriver and large companies like Samsung are putting them in there device. They are selling their products at what about the same price or a little more than what Apple is selling. They are either putting 1.8-3in oled screens in their devices. If a small company can do it and still pack some nice goodies in their devices surely a larger company like Apple can make it cheaper with the right contract. Besides we are talking about OLED in a small device I don't remember mentioning anything about large screens or tvs.

To my own credit I did say "Lots of little programable OLED screens on a large device". I figure 113 keys with OLED displays on them plus the accompanying electronics to control it all isn't dirt cheap. But I would also figure there is enough leeway (read:uniqueness) in it that one could have a tidy profit margin (that thing Apple loves) when selling them.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Apple/Optimus

I don't see what the big problem is here; Apple has plenty of cash in the bank. It would be a lot easier for them to just buy this company and make the changes on the keyboard to fit Apple's vision. I was reading about a month ago that Apple needs to spend some of the money they have accumulated. Several analysts made comments on what they could purchase.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I'm not willing to pay over $10,000 for one, but I'd probably pay a few hundred, as long as Apple provides Cocoa classes for programming it. I can think of all kinds of cool things it could do for application developers.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
This looks interesting. I personally think it would be pretty cool. I wouldn't go out and special purchase one I don't think, but if it came with a new computer that would be neat.

I don't see what the big problem is here; Apple has plenty of cash in the bank. It would be a lot easier for them to just buy this company and make the changes on the keyboard to fit Apple's vision. I was reading about a month ago that Apple needs to spend some of the money they have accumulated. Several analysts made comments on what they could purchase.

They use the cash for R&D, just like most companies with large cash reserves. They do spend it, just not on physical acquisitions.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
They use the cash for R&D, just like most companies with large cash reserves. They do spend it, just not on physical acquisitions.

The article mentions that Apple has a lot more cash on hand than most companies. Way to much for R&D alone. The analysts said it was not a good idea for Apple to keep that much cash on hand and needed to invest in physical acquisitions.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I've wanted one of the Optimus Keyboards for ages but the cost is a little bit of a killer. If Apple releases something like this I would buy in second ( :looking for avatar where the icon is getting a credit card ready: ) :cool:

I would so be loling if we see something like this at Macworld 2008

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Patent law is a lot more subtle than this. Take a look at the specific claims they make and realize that a patent examiner might reject some of the earlier claims based on the prior art described for the Optimus and allow later ones that build on them to stand. There are some novel innovations in there not described in the Optimus literature, but more than that when filing a patent this scattershot approach is really the only sane way to go.

For that matter, the examiner must determine how "real" the Optimus is. Patents aren't for ideas; they're for ideas reduced to practice. The fact that science fiction authors have written about FTL drives won't stop you from receiving a patent should you invent one.

Ok i think i see what you are getting at,...
In the apple invention it is a keyboard of keys with screens.
The key is self-contained it has an IC with memory which gets loaded with the bitmaps ahead of time, then displays the bitmaps when told, the key may even have it's own switch built-in, so it could send a signal down the line to say it's been pressed. Which means it might be able watch the bus and react to other keys.

The Keyboard is a great idea but it's clear the Optimus method is really complex.

This is really simple, mass produce keys, in a couple of sizes, then drop them in to place then map them. Sure each key is harder to produce but then you are taking out the printing and sorting steps as well.

You could see the keys being sold for lots of other button applications (illuminated controls in cars, planes) as well, which drives the economy of scale.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
How about fixing the crappy MacBook Pro keyboards... mushy and short travel... how'd they accomplish that!?

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
This is like the second time in a month that I have posted front page news and not been credited with it :mad:

Oh well, as long as people get to see it :)

I think it's interesting, I've been wanting an Optimus Maximus, but not for $1500!

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
The Keyboard is a great idea but it's clear the Optimus method is really complex.

This is really simple, mass produce keys, in a couple of sizes, then drop them in to place then map them. Sure each key is harder to produce but then you are taking out the printing and sorting steps as well.

Indeed. No offense to his ingenuity, but Lebedev is selling a half-baked product. It's cool, but brittle, expensive and hard to come by. He married himself to an approach that doesn't scale well to keyboard dimensions, and however cool it is, he's been failing slowly at it for years now. His product is available to only a statistically insignificant fraction of its potential audience. Admittedly I only became aware today that he'd ever gotten them into anyone's hands.

The approach described in the Apple application is much simpler and more robust. A two-wire interface to a locally-chipped key solves a couple of the major problems Lebedev seemingly couldn't, and the fact Apple describes a method for manufacturing the keys themselves is quite important. Really, the most significant parts of the patent are the ones that probably seem most boring from the "cool product" perspective.

Figuring out how to make somebody else's failing idea work isn't idea theft. The way to make it work is the idea. Lebedev says he has patents pending on his work. Might be that Apple owes him some royalties if they make this keyboard, but that's for future negotiations to decide. In fact, if Apple figures out a way to make this technology affordable to the size of audience that has expressed interest in it, Lebedev might come out way ahead on royalties compared to what he'd make selling his own board at $1600 a pop. This is the way the system is supposed to work. People who innovate make money and we get better products.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
alone?

Am I the only person who does not think this is the greatest thing ever? I mean, it's an overpriced overly complex keyboard. Manufacturing costs will be enormous, even if Apple finds "a cheap way". The cost of materials, in real environmental impact, seems far too high compared to what can be done with just a regular keyboard. How does one recycle such a keyboard? What happens when you spill some water, or soda, on it? (We have that happen quarterly at our office, desk-eaters.) Can just one key be replaced if it fails or gets cracked? How will it look in 5 years, do the keys become dirty and smudgy (like every well used keyboard)? Will it even work in 3 years (like all Apple keyboards, some slowly fail to work on older AND newer machines)?

lancerx78

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
For those of you in Manhattan who would like to check out the Optimus keyboard, it is on display at the Wired store in SoHo.

Yuppi

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2007
The idea is brilliant. And if the price tag for the optimus would be about a third I would start considering it. I have to use multiple keyboard layouts and would be incredible happy with that technology. Switching between German, English (for programming) and WUBI-XING would be very cool. Not to even mention Photoshop that I use occasionally too. If Apple makes it happen within a reaqsonible price (and that is for me everything up to 500 USD) I will buy it.

Dale_Nx26

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Oh, so you think NO ONE should be able to make a product even resembling something someone else has come up with. Just think where we'd be if only Ford made cars. Their cars are a joke.

And the Optimus isn't the "price of a high-end cell phone" that was promised when announced. Try price of three or four high-end cell phones! I wanted one but refuse to pay their ripoff prices. If Apple can sell it for 1/3 of what Optimus is demanding, Optimus will find themselves relegated to the history books where they belong.

A $1600 keyboard is nothing more than a rich yuppie status symbol, not a tool for those who really need it

Oh, so you think EVERYONE should copy from Apple, like...Microsoft? I'm not picking a side, I'm just using Microsoft as an example since so many people complain how Microsoft copies from Apple. :rolleyes: The patent system sucks so what does it matter.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Next step: a keyboard that detects a new user by measuring sweat on their fingertips and displays useful 'Now Press Me' keys.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Is this cheaper or more practical than a keyboard that is a single touch screen where keys can not only change but be replaced by sliders and dials etc.? Of course there is the key travel response argument but the iPhone is already changing the way people think about keyboards as is the new Apple keyboard. I imagine that the Optimus type keyboard would be more expensive (or the same price) due to labour intensiveness, but I may well be wrong. Either way these keyboards will mean a lot more time looking at the keyboard rather than the screen as our touch type brains get scrambled with the idea of contextual layouts - reminds me of those keyboard overlays that you used to get for the function keys with WordPerfect.

Edit: Just seen Optimus Tactus (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus-tactus/) which is the company's next step. I think however that the company seem very stuck with the traditional form factor of a keyboard and that using the touch screen functionality to make the screen area smaller may make for a better value keyboard. This is where Apple's innovations in software and daring could take the concept to its next level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.