Opting for 64bit instead of 32bit during Win 7 install. HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by azribohari, May 25, 2012.

1. azribohari, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

azribohari macrumors newbie

hi there.

i have a Window 7 home premium DVD. it contains both 32 and 64 bit. I created an ISO on a win 7 MacBook Pro that belongs to my friend (im not sure his win 7 is 32 or 64 bit). then, i created a USB bootable from the ISO (using bootcamp 4 on my macmini 2011). I did so because i want to install win 7 on my macmini 2011.

now, my question is, how can i opt for 64bit? i cant utlizie my RAM fully with 32 bit. i reinstalled 3 times already and its 32bit all three times. The last time i installed, i really paid attention throughout the installation process to see whether there is any way i can choose 64 bit, but i didnt find any. how can i do that?

do we choose:

1. when creating the ISO? (the only step i havent try, after knowing about 32 vs 64 bit)

2. when creating the USB bootable using bootcamp? ( i tried this. didnt find a way to choose)

3. during installation? (i tried this 30mins ago. didnt find a way to choose)

i also checked my processor: Intel(r) Core (TM) i5-2415M and made sure it can run 64 bit. so basically, i tried everything i could. HELP!

my macmini runs Mac OSX Lion. I realized the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit when i found out there 1880MB of hardware reserved RAM in the Win 7 that i installed in the partition.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you sure that the DVD has both versions? I'm only familiar with the MSDN (developer) versions but in the case of those there are actually two DVDs, one for 32-bit and one for 64.

3. azribohari thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i bought the original DVD from microsoft store uk, and when i checked my order details (i bought in 2010) and searched online, the DVD contains both. i once installed it on my MBP 2010 (before i sold it last dec), and as far as i can remember, 64bit version was installed and i can play MW3 smoothly (my MBP has 4 GB of RAM if im not mistaken). now, it hardly plays and keeps on crashing!

thanks for looking into my question. i really appreciate it!

4. Sincci macrumors regular

What gpu is your mac mini using? Intel HD 3000 or AMD Radeon HD 6630M? The first one reserves 288MB of your system memory no matter what OS version you are using.

5. biohead macrumors 6502

If it's an official holo disc - they're only available in 32-bit edition OR 64-bit edition. It does say on the right hand side of the disc whether it's 32 or 64.

You should have received two separate discs.

6. azribohari thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much. i realize the mistake, and downloaded a 64bit version. so sorry to bother u guys with my stupidity :)

7. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Keep the 64 bit version. Its better for newer games and if you upgrade your RAM it will make use of it whenever you need it.