Option for 3G or Edge Plan or no data at all?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Jun 9, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I know some of you are pissed by the $10 increase on the plan, but do you think AT&T will allow users to either drop to Edge so they don't have to pay as much or drop the data plan in whole so they don't have to pay a whole $20-30 more a month? They sneaked this in recently for the first gen iPhones, itd be great if they did it to this.

2. jakeacc macrumors regular

I'm assuming you would be able to buy an iPhone with just a voice plan and NO data plan. (to save 30 bucks) But I don't think you can ask for the "EDGE plan" as it no longer exists. There is only 1 data plan and that is $30 bucks. The only people who can still pay just $20 are current iPhone users with data plans who do not upgrade to the new iPhone.

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

3. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Pantocrator macrumors member

The current iphone does not let you not have a data plan, so the next won't either. ATT lost money due to the subsidy, so they will not let you catch a break at all.

5. jakeacc macrumors regular

With the current iPhone, ATT gives you the option of subtracting EDGE access from your phone and reduces your bill 20 bucks.

6. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Speaking of no more Edge data plan, I'm wondering what they're going to do with someone in my case. 3G is NOT available here, so what am I going to do? They don't really expect me to pay for something that isn't available here, do they?

7. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I was wondering the exact same thing.

8. jakeacc macrumors regular

You aren't paying 30 bucks for 3G, you're paying for "DATA". The iPhone (as of today) provides its data via 3G and/EDGE. If you are out of a 3G area, it will use the EDGE network. If you don't have 3G anywhere near you, it will use the EDGE network.

So yes, I highly doubt people who live in 3G-less areas get to be reimbursed $30.

9. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

You are missing the point. The increase in price was to bring it in line with At&t's OTHER smartphone data plans.

BlackBerry Personal= $30/mo for unlimited data, no texts
    PDA Personal= $30/mo for unlimited data, no texts

Those prices are regardless of you being in a 3G or EDGE area, they are just the prices. The iPhone jumped a level in phone categorization today and will now be priced accordingly. It is not solely because of being 3G.