Option + Reboot does not work.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joemoehobo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. joemoehobo macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 2010 15" 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    So this is my miserable situation:
    Last night I dropped my Mac on right bottom corner (unfortunately where hard-drive is located).
    After this the device makes a jerking/clicking sound from right bottom corner which is most definitely the hard-drive. I was able to use the device for a minute and then it froze. After a hard-reset the device got stuck on the apple logo while the wheel was spinning, waiting for a while, I got no response so I did another hard-reset and since then the only thing I am able to see was the grey screen with no logo.
    I am aware that I need to replace the HDD but I have critical information to be backed up and yes I was too ignorant to never backup anything. So I discussed the issue with a friend of mine who is a Forensic Digital Detective, an expert in these situations and he told me to try to repair the drive with Disk Utility and if it did not work I have to boot into DiskWarrior 4.4.
    About an hour after the incident I tried these:
    Holding Option after chime allowed me to enter Recovery Mode. I tried this 4 times and these are the results I got:
    First Time: The recovery screen showed "Macintosh HD" and "Recovery HD" with the chance to choose a network to connect to. Mistakenly I hard-reseted again since I did not know how to proceed.
    Second Time: This time the only option on recovery screen was "Internet Recovery" and apparently the device did not recognize my hard-drive anymore.
    Third Time: I had the options to do an "Internet Recovery" or "EFFY or IFFY Something (I don't remember clearly)"
    Forth Time: I tried Internet Recovery yet received a -2002F error.
    Last Time: I tried Internet recovery, was able to access Disk Utility. Proceeded to do a "repair" and got "Invalid Node Structure" error. While the Disk Utility was attempting to rewrite B-tree the Macintosh HD drive disappeared from left side and everything froze. I attempted another hard-reset until now.

At the moment: I borrowed a copy of DiskWarrior from a friend mine. I attempted to hold C after chime, I got no results even though I waited for approximately an hour. Then I tried to access it through Recovery Mode. So I held option for a lengthily time and no results! Force-ejected the disk. Tried the Mac OS X Install DVD while holding down C and got nothing. Tried to access Recovery Mode by itself again and now after 10-12 attempts I cannot manage to access it from gray screen. I even tried an external USB keyboard and ... :(
    I know I have to hold the C or Option key after the chime. I know that I have to "hold" it. I know how to operate these. This is not my issue. It just doesn't work.

I would highly appreciate if an expert can guide me through this.

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

If you're hearing the clicking sound, its a hardware fault and no software can fix a hardware fault. You will need to engage a professional data recovery company to retrieve the information on the drive now.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Clicking drive usually means physical damage. You're going to need to take it to a drive recovery service and brace yourself for the cost to recover.

Don't forget to get a backup next time. Time Machine is very handy, even DropBox is a workable solution.

Posts like the OPs come in all too often.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Two possibilities...
    1. The drive itself is damaged - this will make it difficult to recover the data.
    2. The connection to the drive is damaged - in which case the drive can be put into an external enclosure and the data recovered.
    In either case I would recommend pulling the drive form the system and checking it out separately from the MacBook.

5. joemoehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Lion. Internet Recovery is independent of HD and I was able to access it even after the physical damage. Though almost everything worked last night after the drop. Nothing works now. I didn't even move the device. Also The Mac HD was recognized last night in my attempts to recover. That itself gives me hope to be able to recover at least some data using DiskWarrior. I am just wondering why all that was functional before (Even after the damage) is dysfunctional now?

----------

I already purchased a 2.5 SSHD for replacement. That's not the hard part. But I do need to be able to access the firmware options which at the moment I'm unable to access.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As another post mentioned, best bet is to remove the drive to an external enclosure and put a new drive & OS in the MBP. Anything you do to the drive risks any chance of recovery. It sounds like a head has torn loose.

Firmware? what firmware?

7. joemoehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

By firmware I mean the bootloader. I was informed that Lion's Internet Recovery has nothing to do with hard drive. And I was even able to access the recovery but not anymore. Also even if the HD is totally effed up I should still be able to use the Disk that came with my Macbook to load the recovery options right?

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That would be nice but as far as I know MacBooks don't have the Flash ROM storage for such an option. ~13GB.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

IMO this makes the recovery partition pretty much useless. You'll need a proper recovery disk or USB bootable Lion or Mountain Lion image. It's now a chicken & egg problem as Apple doesn't sell Lion or ML on DVD. If you have access to another Lion or ML Mac try this.
    http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/create-os-x-mountain-lion-boot-dvd-usb-drive-liondiskmaker/

Also target disk mode might be a repair option but again you'll need another Mac and a Firewire cable.

9. joemoehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you mean. I have a SL recovery disk. But I'm unable to load it. My friend told me if I can get DiskWarrior to boot up. I can copy whatever I can get from my previous hard-drive to a usb external HD. But the problem now is that reboot+C does not work on any bootable disk. Because of that I assume even a bootable USB flash won't do either. I'm just confused why all these keyboard shortcuts are not operating as they should. And I'm getting to the point that maybe my logicboard is messed up since I even tried and external keyboard. Also I did the hardware test last night and it prompted with no errors. So confused. I'll have to take it in to Apple Store tomorrow. But I don't really want to pay thousands of dollars for recovery and repair. If I can figure out what's wrong with I am capable to attempt to fix it. I'm a college student for god's sake!! :(

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try reboot and hold down Option before the chime.

11. joemoehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

No luck with that. I even tried doing a back flip while holding the option key :)). Nothing works!

12. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

13. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That should give you a menu at the least an error that nothing could be found. Without a second Mac there's not much you're going to be able to do. Funny the SL DVD should boot when you hold "c" on boot, what color is the disk?

Apple has a TFTP server with diagnostics on it, they'll use that tomorrow.

It's a little late now but set yourself up with a free 5GB DropBox account and store your do not lose files there.

14. joemoehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

My gf just brought her mac. I'm kindda scared to turn on my mac now btw. I just read:
    "HD was slowly dying at that point, so it worked periodically. If the damage is what I suspect, the heads are "scraping" the disks/platters, damaging it more with every revolution until it wouldn't work at all. I suspect that is the reason. It may also be further physical damage."

How can I use my gf's mac though?

15. negativzero macrumors 6502

I don't think you really should try any home remedies on this hard drive now. Its definitely mechanical damage which no software in the world will ever fix and turning it on will just kill it faster.

If you value your data, take it in to a Genius Bar now and if they can't solve it, professional data recovery companies. They will remove the individual disk platters and recover the data you need.

And remember to make backups in future.

16. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Take the disk out, send it to Ontrack to get the data recovered (be warned that costs range from £500-£1000 - see why you should always keep a backup?).

Put new hard disk in the mac, hold Option and power up, use Internet Recovery, job done.