Option(s) to a WDS Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by khollister, Feb 17, 2009.

1. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

I have read threads and searched on this until I have become hopelessly confused (also read the Apple Wireless Networks document). Here's what I want to do:

1) Use a second AEBS in my home theater cabinet to wirelessly connect the blu-ray player (BDP) and HD DVR. I have a primary AEBS which is my WLAN access point, but I cannot get wire between the DSL router/printer and the HT location. I think I know how to do this with WDS, but I'm concerned about performance hits with WDS. Is there another option? Is there someway to configure the 2nd AEBS as a WLAN client that can share internet access to the BDP & DVR without the performance hit of WDS?

2) second option - proceed with the 2 AEBS in a WDS configuration, but offset the performance by making it N-only. I then need access via G for my old Macbook. I have a G Airport Express that isn't doing anything right now - can I connect it via ethernet to the main AEBS to create either a separate G WLAN or a G-only wired relay to the primary N-only WLAN?

3) Another related question - I currently have the primary AEBS setup as a bridge (WAP) with a firewall appliance upstream serving DHCP on a NAT LAN. Will the WDS Remote set as a bridge serve up DHCP addresses passed through from the firewall, or does the WDS main need to be the DHCP server (and presumably NAT router)?

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

when you say AE, are you referring to an airport express, or airport extreme? the names are too close.

you can have an express join the wireless network (without the performance hit of WDS), and share it out the ethernet port. You should be able to put a hub/switch and share it to 2 devices, although I've tried one device plugged in directly.
    you want one of the N versions that have been out about a year. (the B/G ones only offer this in extend/WDS mode)

If you wanted a separate G network, you can connect the G express via ethernet, and put it on "off (bridge mode)" under internet -> connection sharing. Your G network will just then be a part of the main network.
    I do this to get my N network.
    My G comes from a linksys router. and i can stream airtunes and print from my laptop on the N network to an express connected to the G network. I have 2 separate networks "name-G" and "name-N"

3. khollister thread starter macrumors 6502a

khollister

OK - all fixed. I set up the two AX's as N-only. Found out WDS is G only - had to use the Extend Network options. Used the old G-only AE to create a G WLAN for the old Macbook.

Everything works great. Didn't realize there was another option other than WDS