Option to boot into bootcamp after OSX update gone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MADA987, May 5, 2015.

1. MADA987 macrumors newbie

So I've recently just updated my MacBook Pro to Yosemite 10.10.8. After that, upon trying to restart and boot into windows, the option was missing. In startup disk it only shows my OSX partition. In disk utility, it shows up as disk0s4, however it's greyed out.

I understand that there are similar threads, I just want to indentify the issue.

2. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

10.10.8?

Do you mean 10.10.3 release or 10.10.4 beta, or something else entirely? 10.10.8 does not exist.

3. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

It probably was .3 I was in a rush and am not currently home to check. I was just a regular update through the App Store that required a restart and further installation.

4. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

What happens when you restart holding the option key?

5. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I go to restart, holding the option key as it reboots. The drive selection is still there, just there is no drive labeled Windows anymore. Just Mac and Recovery.

The version of windows was 8, if that helps.

6. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Have you tried deleting the Windows partition & re creating it then installing Windows?

7. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, haven't tried it yet.

Well the installation disk I used was an OEM, so I'm pretty sure i won't be able to reinstall it again?

How would o go about backing up?

8. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

You will be able to re install.

If you haven't got backups already, you're going to need to find a way into it or accept the loses if you can't. Always keep regular backups so when stuff like this happens you can just delete & reinstall :/

9. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I'm just deleting the partition and reinstalling windows via bootcamp?

There's no way around this?

10. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Can you not access the partition at all via finder?

11. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Then probably yeah re installing will be your best bet. Google around & see if there is something or maybe another use will have a cool fix.

It's probably quicker to re install though & lesson learned for backups I guess :>

13. MADA987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrigh, just want to check. The partition in disk utility is greyed out, yet it gives me details and various actions, could I maybe copy this over? Would that be a reliable option.