Option to delete and reinstall all apps

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Galacticos, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Seeing as a lot of people are reporting iOS performance improvements when they get rid of or reinstall an app what are the thoughts on an option to delete all apps and data, and reinstall them without having to restore the phone?
    Not a particular issue for me but seems to be a few posts about this

2. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

It's already there. It's called "set up as new".

4. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

i can't offer insight into whether your thoughts matter to you or not.
    It's just a question to gauge the effectiveness on deleting and reinstalling apps and it's troubleshooting effect, and whether that effect is big enough to justify an included method for that on a large scale.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    A method for doing this without restoring or setting up the phone as new

Judging by the response so far, I'd say not!

5. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

can you offer your "expert" insights on whose thoughts will help you "gauge" the "effectiveness" of something which you cannot control?

6. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

Judging by the response so far, I'd say not!
    I'm no expert.
    I can control whether I delete and re-download an app, and I'm asking others how effective they have found that in troubleshooting problems. I have found it useful at times. I take it you haven't found it useful. That's all

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

My opinion is: it would be a waste of time do delete and reinstall all apps.

8. Galacticos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

I tend to agree as you probably get from my first post. I have just seen on the forums more posts than I expected about deleting and reinstalling apps being helpful.

As I said the response to this thread, or lack thereof, says it all

9. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

IOS apps are sandboxed, they can't affect one another. When an Apple genius tells you to restore from new , it is because they have no idea what is wrong.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

And yet one of the bigger recent iOS issues related to various apps not being able to open links was triggered by some other apps.

11. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Settings>> Genera>> Reset>> erase all content and settings <<<< There's your option.

12. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Do you ever offer any useful information? YOUR thoughts probably dont matter as you never seem to have any useful information to add to a topic but are typically just rude to the OP's.

What I have found is restoring iOS then restoring a backup then reset all settings seems to work just as well. Even if you don't restore first but simply upgrade to a new version, the reset all seems to clear out issues that may arise.

13. KALLT macrumors 601

The quickest way to do this is by using iTunes. You can delete and reinstall apps much quicker with it, as you only have to click buttons in a list.

That was a bug in a system program to which the sandboxing rules do not apply. Apps still interface with system programs. Third-party apps cannot interact with each other, they can only interact through an interface provided by the system, which themselves have their own security precautions (like access control lists and limited permissions and such).

14. danleon950410 macrumors regular

danleon950410

Yeah, agreed
    Diagnostics tend to show that apps crash on the background, thus causing some issues

The reason that a full restore works is because IT FREAKING WORKS, in case anyone doubts it

In my experience, OP could be right, even though the method seema a little inconvenient

15. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

why don't YOU answer the question. how do your thoughts matter?

16. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Umm. Backup, erase all data, and restore from backup. Or just restore device, and then from backup.
    I don't see any significant difference on just deleting all apps. Think about this: app data will eventually be removed whatsoever. And anything left behind is synced media, photos, movies etc. They are of little use or relation for troubleshooting.
    So, I think there is little need to just delete all apps and reinstall them all. Plus you will lose all app data anyway.
    But, if your device is jail broken, then there might be a need to introduce such feature. And, I may dare think this can be achieved through tweaks?

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, we certainly know rules are rules, but we also know that sometimes due to bugs or some other workarounds rules have been gotten around or broken. Normally what you say is the case, or at least certainly how it's designed to work, but enough times we've seen that there have been exceptions in one sense or anther (again, either unintentional like bugs or something else weird, or sometimes intentional, like some apps using some methods or APIs to do something they normally shouldn't be doing or allowed to do). So there's certainly enough out there to say that something like a restore can be a viable option in troubleshooting when other things haven't really resulted in much.