Option to download McAfee with VMware Fusion 6: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Broadus, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Leaving PC's after 25-plus years for a refurbished rMBP, I bought and started to download VMware Fusion 6. Right off the bat is an option to download Fusion with or without McAfee antivirus, a 12-month complimentary subscription.

Would you download McAfee, use something else, or nothing at all?

Thanks.

2. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

No. Avoid that crap at all costs. Most Windows versions can now use Microsoft Security Essentials which is a free, decent AntiVirus. (Windows 8 has it built in - free download for other Windows versions.) That, and if you are a bit careful you will not need anything more.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

^^
    This

I upgraded to Fusion 6 and didn't take the bait

4. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys. I didn't know that about Windows 8. That's what I'll be using.

Besides, a fellow Dawgs fan wouldn't steer me wrong. ;)

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

6. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

No. McAfee is a pile of crap. Even John McAfee himself doesn't use it. Type in "how to uninstall mcafee antivirus" into Youtube and you'll see what I mean ;)

7. badaz06 macrumors newbie

Yeah....trust the guys that write the software code that's vulnerable to infection, to write the software code that prevents you from being infected.

8. ivnj macrumors 65816

Why would you invent something if you're never going to use it. And if its's crap then make it better.

9. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

You haven't seen this Youtube video, have you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

It explains all :D

10. tigo132 macrumors newbie

Not sure why you would go for McAfee.
    But if you need a anti-virus program, i would recommend AVG. It´s free and does the job. :cool:

11. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only reason I raised the question was because it was an option in the VMWare Fusion installation. Having researched some, I don't think I will need an antivirus app for the way I will use Windows.

12. dyn macrumors 68030

I do download that version because it holds all the VMware Tools for the various operating systems. I simply do not use the "Install McAffee" option at all. You can also delete the .iso from the VMware Fusion package. Locate Fusion in /Applications, rightclick and select "Show pkg contents", go to Contents/Library/isoimages and delete antivirus.iso (or insert your own .iso..no idea if that works).