iPhone Option to turn off "zoom" and parallax separately

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Oohara, Nov 4, 2013.

?

Add separate options for turning off parallax and "zoom"?

1. Yes, please!

39 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. I don't care.

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Oohara, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

I'm one of those who didn't much like the "zooming" animation in iOS 7, and thus welcomed the new "Reduce Motion" option in 7.0.3 with great glee. :D

However - I have to say that I rather liked the parallax animation! I found it quite an elegant touch and I didn't see it slowing down the system in itself (I'm on a 4S). So I'm a bit sad that we're forced to turn it off just because we want to turn off the zooming animation.

What about you? Would you like to have the option to keep the parallax animation even though you turn off the zoom animation? Or perhaps the other way around?

I'd love to see how many would be interested in this. If you answer the poll, please also add a quick post to keep the thread bumped so we get more answers.

Thank you.

EDIT: Note that this would be useful also for those who like the zoom animation, but don't want the parallax!

2. edhchoe macrumors 6502

Form should follow function. Parallax has no function for me.

3. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Sure, as in function should not be slave to form. But surely there is a point in beauty for the sake of beauty? Especially as long as it does not compromise function, which is not the case here. (Unless someone were to show significant slowdown or battery drain, which I think the parallax animation hardly causes.)

Besides, to those who find the parallax animation aesthetically pleasing, it does improve the experience of using the device = improved function. I don't think Apple would be where they are today unless they understood the value of beauty.

If you don't like the way the parallax animation looks, then yes of course it doesn't improve the function of the device for you. But that's not true for everyone.

Hadn't found that one, but I'd still like to see the results of a poll :)

4. Altis macrumors 68020

For what it's worth, I admire that your poll is "Yes please" vs "I don't care". That is, people should not actually be opposed to it, rather in favor or indifferent. :cool:

Personally, I didn't like either. Parallax was a little too stuttery for me, and I don't rotate my phone much. I can appreciate that there are those who might want one or the other but not both.

5. sero323 macrumors regular

Well considering that the parallax needs to have a zoomed in background to operate this thread is useless. I wouldn't mind them including a Off switch for parallax affect. I probably would leave mine on.

6. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Or vice versa like before... Only zooming/fading effects in reduce motion and no parallax when turned "on" .. I think parallax is a waste .. When the showed it , it looked good but after using it u realism it's not very great.. And the current fading is very nice when we open an app ..

7. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Thank you for this comment. :) This is a point that many never see, which always baffles me. Why should we actively deny a choice that is desirable for others when it doesn't do us any harm, just because we don't happen to find it interesting? It's like if I would actively want Apple to stop making silver and gold iPhones just because I'm only interested in the space gray one.

Slightly zoomed in background != the strong icon zoom in effect we're talking about.

To each their own. I love the parallax effect on my 4S, it's a tiny detail but a very nice one, providing at least a touch of fun ("liveliness", as Apple called it in their iOS 7 presentation) in an (imo) otherwise quite stale UI. Meanwhile I hate the zoom in effect (again, I mean the strong icon zoom effect when entering or leaving the homescreen, not the slight permanent wallpaper zoom needed for the parallax to work). I'd just like to choose one without having to choose the other one too.

My point is that it probably wouldn't be a big deal for Apple to separate these choices. Some like the parallax but not the zoom effect, for some it's the other way around.

Apple themselves even highlighed the parallax effect in their iOS 7 presentation, so clearly they're quite proud of it and made an effort to implement it. Why would they not leave it in there as an option also for those who just didn't like the "zoom" effect?

8. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

I love the parallax effect but I'm sure it drains my battery :(

9. Vidikron, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

Vidikron macrumors newbie

I'm all for this. I like the subtle parallax effect, but can do without all the zooming.

Unfortunately, form over function is exactly what happened with the zooming. Why do you think they reduced the numbers of apps in the iPad folders (per page) from 20 to 9? It was so their fancy zooming animation would match up with the icons.

10. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Hm. I'm dying to know exactly how much it actually drains the battery. As soon as I've unlocked my 4S and made it my daily driver again, I'll do a test and return with the results.

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

That's right. I don't care. I like both, zoom and parallax.

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

OMG how many pages and subpages of settings do you want on iOS ???? :eek:
    If you take a look at this forum, to make all the people happy Apple should add an option for almost everything ....:rolleyes:

13. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

One more switch - on the settings page where the Reduce Motion option already is. To make it possible for all those who didn't like the zoom effect (many - recognized by Apple) to actually be able to use a feature that Apple so proudly boasted in their iOS presentation.

Would that really be too much? And isn't that something Apple themselves would be interested in implementing?

If Apple were to appease all those who cry OMG NO!! at every single suggestion for a change, both iOS and iPhone would look exactly like it did in 2007.

And again - how would it hurt you to have one more switch on an already existing Settings page, even if you're not interested in that addition? I really don't get this attitude.

14. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I actually want the animations but not Parallax.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In 2007 iOS had too few options in setting, now it has too many in my opinion ...
    Well, maybe not too many but surely I don't need many others, especially for such a minor thing.

16. Oohara, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Yup, there we go. This change would cater to both our needs. :)

(Added a reminder about this point to the OP.)

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Apple budged and added an option to turn the animations off so maybe they'll give us more options. I'm not optimistic but who knows. They probably only did that because all the tech sites were talking about people getting motion sickness.

18. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Yeah, who knows? It just seemed to me that the solution of bundling both these features into one single on/off choice was a bit rushed, maybe they're planning to sort it out in a less crude manner.

Still hoping they'll look at it in a coming update. It's not like they're done ironing out the kinks in iOS 7 yet, anyway :p

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Realistically speaking, nothing wrong with having some sort of advanced settings type of page where more things can be adjusted. Those who might care about it could use it, and others won't. As far as Apple actually doing it (and it fitting in with their way of doing things), well, that's a different story.

20. Oohara thread starter macrumors 68020

Oohara

Just found out I could edit thread titles - I changed this one to underline that this option could be used to turn off either the zoom animation or parallax.

21. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I prefer the fade animations you get when Reduce Motion is turned on, over the default zoom animations. I also hated Parallax, and it's not smooth at all on the iPad mini. Not sure what Parallax is like on faster devices. So I guess that puts me in the "I Don't Care" category. What is already available works for me.