Optional Data Plan??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnryjr, Jun 16, 2008.

1. johnryjr macrumors regular

They have updated the page on AT&T's website for the 3G iPhone. I really want the phone but being a college student, I cannot really affored a $70/month phone bill. I would purchase the iPhone if I could just have the voice plan and just use wifi. Since I do not have a data plan now, I can't really miss what I don't have. I would prefer the data, but it is a little much.

Anyway it states this on the AT&T site:

Now, I would interpret this as the data plan being optional. How about you?

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...?wtSlotClick=1-0013IS-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

Thanks, John

2. johnryjr thread starter macrumors regular

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

it is neither here nor there, it doesn't explicitly state it either way, and i doubt there will be any real clarification, i think this is one we will have to wait to launch to find out. those press releases are gone over with fine tooth combs, so there isn't going to be a mistake in them when they are released. so it is apparent to me that they want to keep this part ambiguous for the time being.

only says rate plan, which means it could be either voice only or voice + data

maybe they just haven't decided yet?

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I hope they offer this option, but I suspect AT&T is basing their subsidy on you buying a monthly data plan.

Even if you can get away without a plan, it will be crucial to make sure you can't ACCIDENTLY get on the GSM network. Most phones have the pay-as-you-go plan for internet if you don't have a data plan.

I hope the 3G iPhone has an option to turn off the data w/o turning off WiFI, texting, and voice...

5. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

if the data plan does become optional you can put a block on the pay as you go option if you accidently hit the safari key even after turning off the 3g. i have that block put on my EDGE data service after i had decided to no longer want the EDGE service. now when i hit the safari key it says i don't have edge service to view the page or something along those lines

6. touchyphone macrumors regular

I just dont understand why some people would get an iPhone with no data plan, yes wifi is prevelant, but it certainly isnt everywhere....whatever, I'll have fun with my future 3G data plan while getting driven to work, while you all are cruising for hot spots...:D

7. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Some people don't have the money to pay for a $30 data plan ontop of a normal plan. Its kind of ridiculous if you think about it. Its like paying a separate internet for yourself but on the go. iPhones aren't luxuries anymore they are being made for everyone.

8. touchyphone macrumors regular

So if you dont have an extra $30 a month, why would you buy a several hundred dollar device you cant keep up the monthly payments on....seems kind of off, no? I mean you can shell out several hundred, but you cant afford the price monthly, why not get a crap phone, pay $20 a month and be happy???

9. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

its basically like getting an iPod, tons of people have them and they are relativley expensive up in the $200 to $300 range, and most people have cells that have a $50/month plan (around there) and why can't they just get one device and not pay more? People have the money, but it all comes down to the long term commitment that most people don't have

10. touchyphone macrumors regular

I am not following your argument, so apologies.....

I just dont understand at all what the above means....but isnt the iPhone that 'one' device as you speak of?? Also those $50 plans are for phones with not even 1/4 of the features. Also, if you cant have a long term contract or stick to a commitment you make, then i ask again, why invest so much in the porduct???

Really though I dont understand what you wrote above, can you put it another way??? Thanks

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well considering ATT is making the iPhone plans just like other smartphones and they allow you to opt out of data plans on smartphones.

12. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

haha my bad
    Here what im trying to say is that, I myself am an Apple Fan and would want to get my hands on anything Apple. I don't want to get those cheap ass phones that run Windows Mobile or get those generic BlackBerry phones. I just want a fricken iPhone, because its an iphone, i don't want to pay too much though. I just want to have the iphone cause for one thing its a status symbol, really it is, and apple products are just awesome and thirdly i need a new iPod and a cell, but i doubt my parents will pay for the data service. Also my birthday is the day before so im hoping i can get iit!

haha sorry bout that

13. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

I don't see what's hard to understand.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I want a cell phone and the features of an iPod touch.

Solution 1: requires carrying two devices.

Free - Flip-phone with 2 Year Plan.
    $39.99 - monthly fee for flip-phone service.
    $299.99 - 8GB iPod touch.

Solution 2: requires only one device.

$199.99 - 8GB iPhone with 2 Year plan.
    $39.99 - monthly fee for phone service on the iPhone.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cancel out all like terms.

Solution 1: requires carrying two devices.

Free - Flip-phone.
    $299.99 - 8GB iPod touch.

Solution 2: requires only one device.

$199.99 - 8GB iPhone.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Solution 2 is the better deal by saving $100, carrying one device and having the option to add unlimited data anytime.

14. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

thank you!:D

15. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

question though..

If you were to get the iPhone with no data what happens when you get on safari or use the internet in anyway using the network? will it just not work or will they charge you?

thanks.

16. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

somebody said that you have to also specifically turn off GSM network or you'll get charged per MB, which'll be insanely expensive.

i don't understand why so it's so confusing to people that we don't want to have to pay for a data plan.

for the last time:

*IT'S $720 OVER THE COURSE OF THE CONTRACT FOR SOMETHING I DON'T NEED!!!!!
    :D

so anyway, any updates about rather or not we're going to be able to cancel the data plan?

17. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

i really hope we wont have to add the data plan once we sign up. Maybe its required at first, but we can cancel it later? Is the data plan required for the current iPhone? Sorry, i'm a little confused on this one.

18. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

from what i've heard, you were able to cancel it, but then that option disappeared from the att site recently.

the press release from att said data plan required. doesn't seem to be any word yet as to whether or not you can cancel it later.

19. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

Here is my reason for not wanting the data plan. Well actually I do want it and will have it. But for my wife, she does not want it and we are together all the time and she could care less about the internet on her phone. Well i really want her to have an iphone so i am hoping that this plan is not a requirement. Thats a great reason to not have the data plan.

20. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

The optional to cancel the data plan online is back. Considering you can cancel the data plan now (I did), I would think you will have that option with the new iphone. Also, since they brought the option back online only last week, it seems reasonable they wouldn't do that if they weren't going to give the 3G iPhone users the option as well. Also, when you cancel your data plan the "E" disappears from the menubar of the iPhone, and you can't access the internet. There is no pay as you go plan.

There are several other posts in the forums about what you need to do to cancel the plan, and how it works, as well as how the iPhone changes after you cancel it.

21. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

For those that have canceled their data plan, does visual voicemail still work? That is a pretty cool feature to lose (if it doesn't work without data).

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I was just thinking the same thing. Does VV actually work without a data plan?

23. Ryanhdd macrumors regular