optional SSD for MBP15 2012 nonretina 6G?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by felixneo, Jun 26, 2012.

1. felixneo macrumors newbie

i can't find anywhere a reliable info about the SSD speed of the non retina models. Apple shouts that the retina has 6G flash storage but is silent about the rest. Anyone has ordered a new gen MacBook Pro 15 non retina with one of the optional ssd's?

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

I hope nobody orders Apple's overpriced SSD options...

Yes, the non-retina MBPs have 6G. I mean, the previous generation had 6G connections already... :rolleyes:

3. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

until now, the SSD's from Apple were 3G & the main board chipset was 6G. the question is if apple updated the SSD's of the non retina models or not. the reason i'm asking, is that the owc extreme 6g 240gb + shipping cost the same in my country with the apple 256 upgrade.

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

Ah, misunderstood your question.

OWC's offer is just as overpriced as Apple's SSD option compared to current SSD prices.

=> It would be interesting to know but doesn't make a difference.

5. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Sure it makes a difference. Native Trim support for one. Warranty for another.

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816

1. TRIM isn't needed if you get a drive with decent garbage collection.
    2. You don't void your MBP's warranty by upgrading the storage drive yourself and there's warranty on the drive you buy.

So what's your point exactly?

7. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

My point is there is a difference. Saying trim isn't needed is your opinion, having Trim allows your SSD to run at optimal speeds instead of waiting when idle to do GC. No it isn't needed, but there is a difference. How big of a difference depends on the user and what drive they have.

Yes you can hack your OS, and trim will work. But that is not the point.

Never said it voided warranty. Yes there is a warranty on drive you buy. But not by Apple. And Apple doesnt service third party drives. When you take it in for service, sometimes Apple could blame everything on you placing drive yourself, or damage your machine when you upgraded. I have a business account and this does not really apply to me. But others it does.

Good to always return to factory spec when taking in for service. Third party drive would have to removed. Not fun.

See the difference. ;)

----------

Yes. In Anands article he states all 2012 models use 6g controllers. Sandforce based toshiba probably with custom Apple firm ware. I know a few people in Apples supply chain, and they are telling me Toshiba and Samsung, both 6g. Dont know Toshiba model, but Samsung is 830 controller same as retina blade SSD.

6g speeds, and native trim. Best of both worlds. But you will have to pay for it. $200.00 over retail on average.

8. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for info.

9. jchu90 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

thinking the exact same thing as you Felix. I have been searching and searching and I may have found the answer on Apple's website. This is what is said in the see more section of the hard drive upgrades

MacBook Pro also offers an optional 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB solid-state drive, which has no moving parts for enhanced durability. These are new third-generation SATA solid-state drives, which are up to 4x faster than a traditional hard drive.

Excuse my ignorance if I am wrong but does this "third generation" refer to 3G speeds and not 6G speeds?

10. flatfoot macrumors 65816

6G speeds. SATA3 (3rd gen) is 6GBit/s.

11. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i read that line myself. sata 6G is the third gen sata standard. the first was 1.5G (150MB), the second was 3G (300MB) and the third is 6G (600MB). so if we go on that logic the ssd's should be 6G. but, apple could refer to this as the third gen of apple ssd.

12. flatfoot macrumors 65816

They mean 3rd generation SATA.

13. Dankex macrumors member

So which SSDs have native trim support? OWC said on their blog that their OptiBay will work at 6G in these 2012 models, whether the 2011 models could only use 3G.
    I think my setup will be: native HDD on its main compartment and 6G SSD in the OptiBay. The question is: which SSD?

14. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

only apple ssd have native trim support on MAC OS X. otherwise you have to use TRIM Enabler utility, but it's on your risk. OWC drives are based on SandForce and it's the only controller that can maintain a reasonable performance over time without TRIM support in the OS.

15. Dankex macrumors member

Hm, ok, thanks. I will probably buy the RAM first as soon as i get the MBP and will wait about a year to then buy the SSD - by that time we will hopefully have better SSDs and cheaper. RAM is the priority as the base 15" model comes with 4G only. :)

16. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

it depends on your workflow. if you use memory hungry apps, like photoshop, yes the ram is the priority, but keep in mind that the ssd's speeds up everything, including the memory swap. also if you know you need more ram, it's not a logical solution to get the next model?

17. Dankex macrumors member

The next model is 400$ more and i don't need that revamped Graphic Card. With those 400$ i can get 16G RAM + one SSD to replace the Superdrive.

About the SSD and/or RAM, well, the SSD would probably be nice to me as i don't use that much hungy apps - i do keep lots of apps open at once and i keep switch between all of them... My browser has lots of tabs, my NetBeans is always open with some projects and sometimes Windows virtualization for some windows-only-applications... Oh, and i almost never reboot or shutdown the laptop - the apps are always open. Don't know which one will help better for my workflow - ram or ssd? Right now, i have 4G RAM on my late 2007 13" MacBook and things are a bit slow...

Do i loose apple's warrranty if i put the SSD in the OptiBay?

18. felixneo thread starter macrumors newbie

don't know. i'm not from states, and in my country it's a safe solution to get the apple upgrade & keep the warranty intact. Anyway, in my experience, the standard configurations that apple provides are in most cases extremely well balanced for the target market & in comparison with the industry. Also they are priced to sell. If you need to customize, you are burned. In this case the "Apple Tax" is huge. So, i always try to pick to "best" standard model which fits my pattern usage, even if it takes me longer to get the money for it.

19. Dankex macrumors member

I'm not from USA either. Im from Portugal and i will be buying the 15" base HR AG from the online apple store. I will then study if i can put in the optibay+ssd without loosing apple's original warranty. I think i will go with the RAM first...the SSD prices will drop in a year, so i will get them later. I know the RAM will too as the 16GB sticks will be available soon, but the RAM is cheaper then the SSD...

20. magbarn macrumors 68000

If you're not a clumsy oaf, I really don't see how you would void the warranty. I've had to get my MBP serviced once, and in 15 minutes I had all the stock components back in my MBP before I dropped it off at the apple store. no warranty was denied. Don't pay Apple's overpriced SSD prices! (Unless you're a computer neophyte and get panic attacks holding a screwdriver)

21. Dankex macrumors member

Thanks magbarn, i'm not a "clumsy oaf" eheh. I did changed the thermal paste in my late 2007 MacBook, so i pretty much opened it all up. What i can't remember is if there is a sticker in the SuperDrive which gets ripped if you remove it out... I think that if you do rip it a part, you will loose warranty. Did you take your Superdrive off when upgrading your MBP? Because i don't mind putting it back if i need to send it to apple... I just want to make sure my warranty stills intact.